Avocado Toast Is For Millennials • Make This Avocado & Egg Breakfast Baked Potato For Grown Ups Instead !
I’m sure you have heard the news reports or have seen on social media that the younger generation can’t afford to buy homes because they spend all their money on avocado toast. While this is probably not true, what is true is that restaurants charge A LOT for something that is so simple to make. I decided to make my own play on this popular breakfast dish but I subbed a baked potato for the toast. I just don’t buy bread anymore ….While I know that a potato is a carb, I think the nutritional value is better especially because my baked potato tricks make the skin so good to eat.
The first think you need to do is make some really perfect baked potatoes. If you have been following me for some time I posted a blog post about how to make the perfect bakers. You can read that post by CLICKING HERE.
The good news is you can make a bunch of these potatoes and keep them in your fridge for up to a week. They make a great snack, lunch or dinner side.
The rest of the steps are easy. But you will need to know how to poach and egg. I will show you how below.
What you need :
- Boiling Water
- A slotted spoon or A firm spatula
- Small bowl or ramekin
Here is what you need to do:
- Bring a skillet filled half way with water to boil.
- Add in a couple teaspoons of vinegar, you just need a bit. I don’t measure I just kind of add a few small pours.
- While you’re waiting for your water to boil get your eggs out of the fridge. Room temp eggs are the best for this.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, reduce the heat to a simmer .
- Crack and egg into the ramekin making sure the yolk is Intact.
- You want to ease the egg into the simmering water and you do so by submerging the ramekin into the water and slowly pouring the egg into the pan.
- Let the egg sit for a few minutes until to see the whites getting ghost like and floating.
- Then, using the spatula direct some of the water over the yolk a few times until you see a film kind of cover the yolk. This helps keep the yolk intact when you flip it.
- Slide your spoon or spatula under the egg and ever so carefully flip it.
- Let it cook for a minute or two for a runny egg and for a more dense egg obviously let it cook longer. Remove eggs and place in bowls carefully.
So now that you have your eggs poached, and your potatoes baking you need to assemble a few other ingredients.
I buy :
- Pre-made spicy guacamole
- Feta cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Good quality black pepper
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
The rest is easy.
- Remove your potatoes from the oven, carefully spilt them and use a fork to fluff the insides up.
- Next I place the guacamole on the potato. The oils from the avocado season the potato perfectly.
- I then carefully place an egg on top of the guacamole.
- Crumble of feta, couple of shakes of red pepper, black pepper and some sesame seeds on top and you’re done!
This is a fantastic start to your day!
Check out that yolk porn! Wow! The toppings are just my suggestions. Feel free to use any kind of cheese and seasonings you wish!
For another great breakfast dish, check it my recipe for an easy sheet pan breakfast sausage by CLICKING HERE