Roast Beef Sandwiches
I have been using my Instant Pot more often for two reasons. One, my Aunt recently purchased one and I know she will be looking for recipes and two, the busier I get with Tipsy, the less time I have. I love making slow cooked meats and soups and the Instant Pot makes this possible on even the busiest of days. We were having a taste for Roast Beef Sandwiches and when I stopped at my local butcher recently, they had a beautiful rump roast on sale. This Rump Roast can be a main course served with mashed potatoes and veggies or you can make Roast Beef Sandwiches like I did. This also makes a great roast for your holiday dinner if you are tired of turkey and ham. You do not need many ingredients, but you do need an instant pot for this particular recipe. If you do not have an instant pot, you can follow the steps for the instant pot, but instead of putting on the meat setting you can bake it in your oven at 375 degrees for about one hour or until it reaches an internal temp of 130 degrees for a medium rare done temperature. Here is what you need to make the Roast Beef Sandwiches:
- 2 to 3 lb Rump Roast
- 3 Stems of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Rough Chopped
- 8 Cloves of Garlic, Quartered
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Packet of Gravy Mix, I used Mushroom
- 6 Rolls, I used Brioche Buns
The trick to this recipe is cutting slits into the piece of meat and inserting your garlic cloves. This infuses the roast with the garlic flavor. It is also important to get your meat to room temperature before searing it off so you get that nice crispy outer layer. I didn’t take a lot of pictures of the steps for this recipe, but I did film a step by step video that I will include at the end so you can see exactly how to make this. Here is what you need to do to make the Roast Beef Sandwiches.
- Using a steak knife, or paring knife, make vertical slits in your roast and insert the pieces of garlic throughout the roast. (see video)
- Rub the entire roast in olive oil and then season it with salt and pepper well on all sides.
- Set your instant pot to sauté and the highest heat and add some olive oil to your instant pot. If you are going to cook this roast in your oven, perform this step in a skillet.
- Sear your roast on all sides, letting each side sear off for about 5 minutes.
- When you are done searing off your roast, add the chopped onions to your instant pot. Next take your rosemary and rub it between your fingers to release the oils. If you are using your oven place the onions and your roast in a roasting pan and pop in the oven at 375 degrees and check the temp after one hour.
- For the instant pot method, put on your lid, hit the meat setting, adjust the pressure to high and set the time for 30 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam. I then drained the gravy and juices that are in the pot, into a bowl to make gravy after.
- I then turned the instant pot back to the sauté setting, high, and seared it off on all sides again. I then removed the roast to a plate and covered it with foil to rest for about 15 minutes.
- I added the juices back to the instant pot, sauté setting, brought it to a simmer and added the packet of gravy and 1/2 C of water. Whisk until smooth and thickened.
- If you made this in your oven, drain your juices into a sauce pan to make the gravy. You will not need to sear it of again if you made it in the oven.
- After your meat has rested, remove the strings, slice the roast thinly, against the gravy and serve on buns or with mashed potatoes and veggies!
Step By Step Video Below
This is a great recipe to make on a weekend and then you have the meat for sandwiches all week for those busy weeknights. This also makes a beautiful roast for a Sunday dinner or a special occasion. You can usually find these cuts of meat fairly cheap and it goes a long way portion wise. I have really started enjoying using my Instant Pot for so many recipes. It is a great time of year to get one at a discount on cyber Monday, or add it to your Christmas list! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
For more great sandwich recipes, Click Here!