Easy Chili with Mini Corn Bread Bites
It’s Officially Chili Season, Time For East Chili With Mini Corn Bread Bites
Chili season has officially arrived and I am here for it. I love making this easy chili with mini corn bread bites for the week. It is a great recipe to have on hand for a quick dinner or a hearty lunch. This particular chili recipe is a little different from my my usual chili recipe. This easy chili and mini corn bread bite recipe is a lot more kid friendly with it being on the sweeter side and less spicy. The good news is, you can spice it up if you like, when it is just for us at home I like to add extra chili powder and cumin. A printable copy of this easy chili and mini corn bread bites is below. Let me walk you through a few tips and tricks before you make it.
Easy Chili and Mini Corn Bread Bites Ingredients ~ What You Need
The ingredients are very simple and affordable for this recipe. I got everything I needed at Aldi. The total for all the ingredients for this recipe that makes at least 12 servings, was around twenty five dollars. All you need to make this recipe is:
- ground beef
- crushed tomatoes
- 2 jars of chili sauce
- seasoning packet for chili
- chili beans (optional)
- green pepper
- corn muffin mix, I like the Jiffy brand
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- frozen corn
The Steps Are Simple Too
To make this recipe you simply need a stock pot or high sided skillet, a bowl and a mini muffin pan. The other beautiful thing about making this easy chili and mini corn bread bites recipe is that you don’t need a lot of cooking skills to make it. You will need to dice and onion and a green pepper. That is literally the only technical part of this recipe other than stirring. I love making this recipe when it is a busy day and I have other things to do in the house, so that I can put it on the stove and just let it simmer away.
The Beauty Of This Recipe
The best thing about this recipe is that it make a large portion. It is great for feeding a big family. This is also a great recipe to bring someone who needs some help getting dinner on the table during a difficult time. While it is just Mr. Tipsy and I , this recipe is perfect for us because of how easy it freezes. I can make this and throw half in the freezer for another busy day dinner. This recipe is a little different than my usual Chili Recipe. This recipe is a little sweeter, but can easily be spiced up with more chili powder or cumin if you prefer.
- 2.5 lbs of ground beef
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 12 oz jars of chili sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 T of butter
- 1 packet of chili seasoning from the spice aisle
- 1 t of Cinnamon
- Chili powder and cumin to taste
- 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/2 C of shredded cheddar
- 1/2 c of milk
- 1/2 c of sour cream
- 1/2 C of frozen corn
- 2 Eggs
- 2 t of chili powder
- 2 T of honey
- Non Stick Spray
- Add your diced onions and green peppers to a deep skillet with the butter and cook until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Add your ground beef and cook the beef all the way through. You can drain the beef if you choose, once it is cooked.
- Add your crushed tomatoes, the chili seasoning packet, the two jars of the chili sauce, the cinnamon and give it a good stir and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Give your chili a taste and if you like the flavor let it simmer for thirty more minutes. This chili is on the mild, sweeter side so if you like add some chili powder and cumin a couple teaspoons at a time to the chili and give it a taste until it is to your liking. We like ours spicy so I add 2 T of chili powder to mine and 1/2 T of cumin. Let the chili simmer for 35 more minutes.
- While your chili simmers, mix your corn muffin mix with all the other ingredients. Spray a mini muffin tin or a cupcake tin with the non stick spray and fill each spot 3/4's full with the batter. I needed to use 2, mini muffin pans as this yielded 36 mini muffins. You can also bake in batches.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, check on them at 15 minutes, every oven is different.
- When the muffins are done, let them cool for 20 minutes.
- To serve, I place a little chili on the bottom of the dish, add three mini muffins, top with more chili, shredded cheddar, sour cream and onions. You can use any toppings you choose.
Make It And Enjoy
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. This recipe reminds me a little bit of a deconstructed tamale pie. I know that your family will love it as much as we do! Happy eating and thank you for reading!