This is not a Tipsy original recipe. People have been making some variation of this for many years. It also is not the prettiest of all the appetizers, and it is also ghastly unhealthy. Despite all of it’s shortcomings, it is delicious. This is an appetizer that people will ask you to make over and over. I also would like to point out that if you are making this for a party with drinking, save a little on the side for the next day, it makes great hangover food. Here is my variation of it.
1 Package of Pepperidge Farm, Party Bread, Jewish Rye
1 lb Package of Velveeta Cheese, Cubed
1lb of Ground Beef
1 Small Yellow Onion, Diced
2 T of Worcestershire Sauce
1 T Grainy Mustard
1 T Ketchup
1 t of Dry Mustard
Black Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flake to taste
- Brown Ground Beef and Sausage in a skillet with onion. Drain Fat.
- Add the Velveeta to the pan and stir until it melts.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pan (except the bread) and stir.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Spread the bread slices out on a lined cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top each toast with a heaping Tablespoon and spread to the edges of the toast.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until each toast is golden brown.
- You can top with more red pepper flake before serving or scallions.