I am always looking for easy after school snack and lunch box items for the kids. It also helps if they are healthy. One thing I know for sure that the kids will always eat is popcorn. I tried to think of some ways to make it a little more nutritious. I came up with this Crispy Kale Popcorn in the hope that the kids will love the salty crunch and get a little vitamins while they do it. I made this recipe with Boom Chicka Pop, so I didn’t even need to pop my own corn. Here is what else you will need:
- 1 Bag of Sea Salt Boom Chicka Pop
- 6 Handfuls of Kale, removed from the stem
- 3 to 4 T of Olive Oil
- 1 T of Sea Salt
- 2 t of Garlic Powder
- 4 T of Flax Seed
To make this you just need to follow a few simple steps:
- In a large bowl toss the Kale with the Flax Seed, Olive Oil, Salt and Garlic Powder.
- Spread on a foil covered cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes. Every oven is different so keep a close eye on it.
- When all the Kale is crispy, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- When cool, crunch the Kale with your hand until it is in small bite sized pieces.
- Add the Kale to the bag of popcorn, hold the top closed and shake very well until the popcorn is combined with the Kale.
I added some fresh black pepper to my popcorn but you can add whatever spices you choose or keep it as is.
This is a great snack for kids or grown ups. Fair warning, it is very addicting. I hope you enjoy!
For another great snack idea check out my recipe for Marinated Eggs.