Roasting a chicken is something every home chef should know how to do perfectly. The process is simple and you can make adjustments per your tastes as far as seasonings go. But these simple steps should always be followed and the result will be a perfectly roasted chicken every time!
- Remove innards from chicken, remove tail by snipping off with kitchen shears. Place chicken in a large bowl, cover with water, add 1/3 C of Kosher Salt and let sit in your sink for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain Chicken and Dry Well with a paper towel.
- Halve one lemon and quarter one medium yellow onion.
- Squeeze half of the lemon all over the outside of the chicken, and one half inside the chicken. Place the lemon and the onions inside the bird.
- Cut a slit in the skin that’s near the opening of the chicken, place the end of the leg into the slit and cross the other leg over and tuck in, securing the opening. Tuck the wings behind the bird.Place in roasting pan.
- Take 1/3 C of Hellmann’s Mayonnaise and brush the entire bird with mayo. Season the whole bird with Garlic Powder, Paprika, Black Pepper and Poultry Seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees, place bird in oven and roast for fifteen minutes. WITHOUT opening the oven door, reduce heat to 375 degrees and roast for one hour, check on chicken, make sure top isn’t too dark, if it is reduce heat to 350 degrees. Roast for another hour. Check temp, when it reaches 160 degrees, remove from oven and let rest for 20 – 30 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
I compiled an Amazon Shopping List for all the items you will need for this recipe including my very favorite roasting pan and thermometer. CLICK HERE
**This post contains affiliate links!