I don’t know about you but I get really ambitious when buying vegetables. They are so colorful and fresh smelling that I tend to go over board. I am then left with a bunch of veggies that are nearly going bad and I feel awful when I have to throw them away. This past Monday, trying to go meatless, I decided to try to use up every veggie in the fridge before I did the grocery shopping on Tuesday. My boss mentioned a veggie sandwich she loves. It was then that I decided to come up with the idea for Roasted Veggie Bowls & Sandwiches. This recipe is as close to a sheet pan meal as one can get, but technically you have to make rice and a dressing on the side so it doesn’t completely qualify. Any veggies would compliment this recipe but here are the veggies I used for my Roasted Veggie Bowls & Sandwiches:
- 1 Zucchini, Sliced into rounds.
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus, Woody part trimmed from the bottom.
- 1 Orange Pepper and 1 Red Pepper, Cut into slices.
- 1 Bag of Radishes, trimmed and halved.
- 2 C of a Variety of Mushrooms
- 4 T of Olive Oil
- 1/3 C of Rice Wine Vingear
- 1/4 C of Olive Oil
- 4 Green Onions, Sliced
- 1/4 of Fresh Herbs of Choice, I used Purple Basil
- 2 t of Sugar or Honey
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 T of Worcestirshire Sauce
- 2 C of Cooked White Rice
- Bread Rolls of your choice if you do sandwiches
This recipe requires VERY little skill other than prepping the veggies. Here is what you do:
- Spread all the veggies on a foil covered sheet pan except for the mushrooms.
- Brush all the veggies with Olive Oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Place the veggies in a 400 degree oven, for about 25 minutes. Keep and eye on them and take them out when they are slightly charred and soft.
- In a skillet add some olive oil, then the mushrooms.
- As the mushrooms soften, add the worcestirshire sauce and some salt and pepper.
- Cook mushrooms until charred slightly and remove from heat.
- While your veggies are cooking, make your simple vinaigrette.
- Combine the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, sugar and your fresh herb. Let this sit for a bit while the veggies cook.
This is all there is to this recipe. When all the veggies were done we made rice bowls or sandwiches, layering the veggies and drizzling the vinaigrette over each. This was a fresh and delcious meatless dinner and it was a great way to clean out the fridge before shopping day.
Leave me a comment if you make this dish and what veggies you used!
For another great recipe, check out my recipe for Candied Butternut Squash Slices