We have been trying to eat more veggies in our regular daily life. Because I am not a vegetable lover, I try to create recipes that hide them from myself. I know, ridiculous. I have also tried to stay away from Spaghetti Squash for as many years as possible. I walked into the grocery store the other day and front and center was a bin of Spaghetti Squash. I decided to stop hiding. I thought long and hard how to prepare it and knowing I had some sausage and cauliflower at home, I decided to make a play on my Boo Boo Barb Meat Sauce recipe. I saw a fellow blogger make the Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot so I decided to give it a try. This is how the recipe for Spaghetti Squash with Cauliflower & Sausage Tomato Sauce came about. This is a quick recipe that required few ingredients, and this would feed at least 6 people. Here is what you need to get started:
- 1 Medium Sized Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Lb of Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, diced up very small
- 2 T of Italian Seasonings
- 1 Jar of your favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Jar of Water
- 2 T of Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese, Optional
As I said above, I cooked the spaghetti squash in my instant pot. If you do not have an instant pot, you can google how to cook a spaghetti squash other ways. The following are the steps I used:
- Cut the ends off your squash and poke a bunch of holes around the squash with a long sharp knife.
- Place the squash on the rack in your instant pot and add 1/3 C of water to the pot.
- Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your sausage to a skillet with some olive oil or your cooking oil of choice. Cook and break up the sausage as it cooks.
- When the sausage is almost cooked, add the cauliflower and stir fry it until it is toasty and brown.
- Add the jar of the spaghetti sauce, fill the jar with water and give it a good shake, and add the water to the pan.
- Add the Italian Seasonings, bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the water reduces.
- When the squash is done, use caution and remove it from the instant pot.
- CAREFULLY cut it in half lengthwise. It will be HOT and have a lot of steam, be careful you do not burn yourself.
- Scoop the seeds out with a spoon. then use a fork to scrape up the squash and you will see it form into spaghetti like strings.
- Plate your dinner with the squash and then top it with your sauce and if you choose parmesan.
I was really surprised how much I liked the squash. It didn’t taste exactly like spaghetti but it was a nice texture and flavor to go with the sauce. I will definitely be trying more recipes like this. If you make it I hope you like it too!
If you like this recipe, check my recipe for Instant Pot Round Steak & Gravy!