The family I cook for introduced me to this Marinated Egg concept. What’s not to love about hard boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce and other seasonings? I can’t think of anything. I have been obsessed with farm fresh eggs from the farmer’s market this Summer so I decided to try something new with my eggs and put my own spin on the marinated eggs I devour at work. This recipe is fairly simple, but it does require some special ingredients and some time. If you give it a shot these Marinated Eggs will be your new favorite snack.
Here is what you need to run out and get:
- 1 C of Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 C of Good Quality Soy Sauce, I used Wan Ja Shan Soy Sauce
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Crushed
- 6 to 8 Green Onions, Washed and Trimmed
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar or any sweetener of your choice
- 1 t of Dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 T Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 Dozen Eggs, Hard boiled and peeled. I make mine in my Instant Pot because of how easily they peel.
You will also need 2 jars with tight fitting lids, large enough to fit 6 eggs in each. I use Weck Jars, they are my favorite.
Now just follow these easy steps:
- Place 6 eggs in each jar.
- Split the green onions between each jar and pack the onions between and around the eggs.
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice wine vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, brown sugar and red pepper flake and whisk until the brown sugar in dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the eggs until they are covered.
- If they are not covered you may need to add in some more soy sauce which is fine.
- Cover the jars tightly, give them a couple of turns, and place them in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours and a maximum of 2 days. The longer they sit the better they are.
These eggs make a great snack if you are doing a keto or low carb plan. They make a delicious egg salad, breakfast or salad topper for your lunch. I like to top them with a dollop of good quality mayo and minced green onion and a sprinkle of sesame seed. The eggs turn a lovely brown color on the outside and cheerful yellow and white in the inside.
I think you will be thrilled with this delicious and snack that gives you energy. I hope you enjoy!
For another great recipe, check out my recipe for Tomato and Garlic Angel Hair Pasta