Italian Sub Salad Two Ways
Italian Sub Salad Two Ways is a delicious dish inspired by a great Sandwich. This salad is appealing to those who watch their carb intake and those who do not. This uses the same veggies meats, cheeses and dressing. One has lettuce, one has tortellini.
I make this salad, by simply splitting the ingredients amongst a lettuce version and a tortellini pasta version.
Full Recipe Below
The full, printable and Pinterest Pin(able) recipe is linked below. I also have many other recipes on my Pinterest page, so give mea follow!
- For The Salad
- 2 Hearts of Romaine, Shredded
- 1/2 lb of Salami, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 1/2 lb of Provolone, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 8oz Package of Marinated Mini Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- 1 Cucumber, Sliced Thin
- 1 Red Pepper, Sliced into Strips
- 1 C of Mild Pepper Rings
- 1 White Onion, Sliced into Strips
- 1 T Black Pepper
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 C of Parmesan, Cubed
- 1/2 lb Pepperoni, Diced
- For The Dressing
- 1 C Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 C Olive Oil
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 T Brown Sugar (or a natural sweetener)
- 2 t Kosher Salt
- * you can also make this salad for carb lovers by adding one, cooked and cooled bag of tri-colored tortellini to this salad right before serving. There are times where I make and serve this salad both ways for my both my carb loving and low carb loving friends. I just split the ingredients in half and add tortellini to one and omit the lettuce.
- In a large bowl add the romaine lettuce and top the salad with the two peppers, meats, cheeses, onions, and cucumbers.
- Arrange in a pattern over the lettuce, sprinkle lightly with salt and some oregano, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
- Meanwhile whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and also allow to sit in fridge overnight.
- Serve on the side of the salad when serving or toss the whole salad together with the dressing.
For more great salad ideas, check out my recipe for Summer Fruit Salad
I like using this fresh mozzarella from Aldi. It is a very affordable cheese that adds great flavor and texture to your salad. If you notice, I also use diced cheese in this salad which makes it extra decadent. You can easily use mozzarella or provolone. Really you can use any cheese that you prefer for this. I like to do a sliced version and a diced version to add extra texture to this salad and make it extra special.
Mini Burgers For The Win
A great dish to serve with this salad are my mini sliders. Make these with ground beef, caramelized onions and a muenster cheese. Additionally, people can choose to eat this with the bun or without. You can find the recipe for these sliders by CLICKING HERE.