A Salad For Everyone
A lot of people are not eating carbs anymore. My Keto food blogging friends are blowing up social media with their cheese, veggie and meat recipes and people are loving it. Clearly I am not on the Keto train but I do have an appreciation for it. I often entertain and I know there are going to be times that I need to make food that makes everyone happy so I decided to create a salad for everyone.
The salad I came up with is inspired by an Italian Sub Sandwich and can be made two ways with most of the same ingredients. One is appealing to low carb lovers, one is a delicious tortellini salad. Here is what you need to make it happen:
- 2 Hearts of Romaine, Shredded
- 1/2 lb of Salami, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 1/2 lb of Provolone, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 8oz Package of Marinated Mini Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- 1 Cucumber, Sliced Thin
- 1 Red Pepper, Sliced into Strips
- 1 C of Mild Pepper Rings
- 1 White Onion, Sliced into Strips
- 1 T Black Pepper
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 C of Parmesan, Cubed
- 1/2 lb Pepperoni, Diced
- 1 20 oz Packaged of Frozen Cheese Tortellini, Prepared According To The Package, Rinsed and Cooled
- 2 T of Olive Oil
- 2 t Salt
For The Dressing
- 1 C Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 C Olive Oil
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 T Brown Sugar (or a natural sweetener)
- 2 t Kosher Salt
For the Tortellini Salad
- In a large bowl add the marinated fresh mozzarella, 1/2 the red peppers, 1/2 the cucumbers, 1/2 the cheeses and meats, 1/2 the peppers, 1/2 the onion. Toss well to coat in the marinated fresh mozzarella oil.
- Add 2 t salt, 1 T pepper, 2 T olive oil, 1 T dried basil, toss well to coat.
- You do not want the pasta to be swimming in a dressing, only a light coating of dressing makes this salad great.
- Add the cooked and cooled tortellini.
- Toss well to coat.
- Top with the mild pepper rings.
- Let sit covered in the fridge overnight.
For The Lettuce Salad
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the salad dressing. Set Aside on the counter.
- In a large bowl add the romaine lettuce and top the salad with the two peppers, meats, cheeses, onions, and cucumbers.
- Arrange in a pattern over the lettuce, sprinkle lightly with salt, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
- Remove salad from fridge, the salt will have allowed the veggies to make a nice juice, dump the salad in a large bowl and toss well. I serve this salad on top of toasted Chateau Bread Dumplings but you can leave the bread out for it to be carb free friendly.
- Drizzle very lightly with the dressing and serve the rest on the side for people to add as they choose.
This salad makes a great dish for a party, a make ahead dinner or for lunch for the week. It needs very little dressing because the veggies, herbs, meat and cheeses make it so tasty. I hope you enjoy making it and eating it.
For more great salad ideas, check out my recipe for Summer Fruit Salad
What To Do With All Those Garden Tomatoes – The Tipsy Housewife
August 20, 2018 at 12:58 am
[…] For another great recipe check out my recipe for this Italian Sub Salad […]
A Salad For Everyone – Food Recipes
September 29, 2018 at 4:05 pm
[…] See full recipes here […]
October 28, 2018 at 5:18 pm
That looks incredible. Making this week!
October 28, 2018 at 5:18 pm
I hope you like it!
January 5, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Man that looks delicious!
January 6, 2019 at 1:33 am
30 Super Fast Protein Filled Keto Salad Recipes: Outstanding Nutrition –
February 13, 2019 at 9:44 pm
[…] From: The Tipsy Housewife […]
Keto Menu Planning – Week 2 | PJ Cox
April 4, 2019 at 9:38 am
[…] Lunch Italian Sub Salad […]
April 19, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Do you know the approximately how many servings the pasta salad is?
April 19, 2019 at 8:07 pm
I’d say at least 12
January 15, 2020 at 5:57 pm
What do you do with the other half of the peppers, onion, cheeses, and meats? I feel like I’m missing something.
January 15, 2020 at 5:59 pm
There’s two variations of the salad ….on the post. One for a lettuce version one for a tortellini salad ..
May 21, 2019 at 11:24 am
What do you do with the other half of the ingredients after tossing the tortellini in?
May 21, 2019 at 11:26 am
Top it with the remaining ingredients for decor
July 16, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Anyone have any idea how to add this into a Keto App for the purpose of calculating Macros? I’m new at this and don’t want to add each ingredient manually if that can be avoided. Thank you!
July 16, 2019 at 7:54 pm
I’m so sorry I don’t. I hope you can figure it out
Italian Sub Salad. This salad can be made two ways. A tortellini pasta salad and… – Keto-recipes.site
October 7, 2019 at 5:10 pm
[…] [Read more] […]
Farewell that Can The low Carb Low Carb Diet – Alpha Phi Omega
November 18, 2019 at 9:18 am
[…] Keto […]
21 Easy Keto Meals for Beginners – Whole Lotta Yum
December 28, 2019 at 4:07 pm
[…] Keto Italian Sub Salad by The Tipsy Housewife […]
January 3, 2020 at 3:03 pm
You really need to put a link so we can print the recipes we like 🤷♂️🤔🥴
January 3, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Yes I know but I was doing this for a hobby. So I didn’t know…so sorry for inconveniencing you for this recipe …..you can always copy the section and print it too….
January 3, 2020 at 8:49 pm
Or you can buy a cookbook
21 einfache Keto-Mahlzeiten für Anfänger – Mein Stil
March 3, 2020 at 1:27 pm
[…] Keto italienischer Untersalat von der beschwipsten Hausfrau […]
10 Easy Keto Meals for Beginners – Pinebrain
May 17, 2020 at 12:25 am
[…] Get the recipe HERE! […]
Meal Plan 2020 | Week of October 18th – Dinner with the Duffys
October 17, 2020 at 7:02 am
[…] Thursday, October 22nd | Italian Sub Salad | A good Italian salad is pretty hard to beat. There are two versions of this recipe – one with tortellini and one without. Both sound delicious. Don’t worry about letting the veggies, meat and cheese sit overnight. Just chop and serve. KID TIP – deconstruct this one – a “plate” as we like to call it in my house. A little deli meat, some cheese, ritz crackers, some fresh veggies or make them a deli sammie and call it a day! […]
You must log in to post a comment.