A lot of people are not eating carbs anymore. My Keto food blogging friends are blowing up social media with their cheese, veggie and meat recipes and people are loving it. Clearly I am not on the Keto train but I do have an appreciation for it. I often entertain and I know there are going to be times that I need to make food that makes everyone happy so I decided to create a salad for everyone.
The salad I came up with is inspired by an Italian Sub Sandwich and can be made two ways with most of the same ingredients. One is appealing to low carb lovers, one is a delicious tortellini salad. Here is what you need to make it happen:
- 2 Hearts of Romaine, Shredded
- 1/2 lb of Salami, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 1/2 lb of Provolone, Sliced, Cut into Squares
- 8oz Package of Marinated Mini Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- 1 Cucumber, Sliced Thin
- 1 Red Pepper, Sliced into Strips
- 1 C of Mild Pepper Rings
- 1 White Onion, Sliced into Strips
- 1 T Black Pepper
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 C of Parmesan, Cubed
- 1/2 lb Pepperoni, Diced
- 1 20 oz Packaged of Frozen Cheese Tortellini, Prepared According To The Package, Rinsed and Cooled
- 2 T of Olive Oil
- 2 t Salt
For The Dressing
- 1 C Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 C Olive Oil
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Dried Basil
- 1 T Brown Sugar (or a natural sweetener)
- 2 t Kosher Salt
For the Tortellini Salad
- In a large bowl add the marinated fresh mozzarella, 1/2 the red peppers, 1/2 the cucumbers, 1/2 the cheeses and meats, 1/2 the peppers, 1/2 the onion. Toss well to coat in the marinated fresh mozzarella oil.
- Add 2 t salt, 1 T pepper, 2 T olive oil, 1 T dried basil, toss well to coat.
- You do not want the pasta to be swimming in a dressing, only a light coating of dressing makes this salad great.
- Add the cooked and cooled tortellini.
- Toss well to coat.
- Top with the mild pepper rings.
- Let sit covered in the fridge overnight.
For The Lettuce Salad
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the salad dressing. Set Aside on the counter.
- In a large bowl add the romaine lettuce and top the salad with the two peppers, meats, cheeses, onions, and cucumbers.
- Arrange in a pattern over the lettuce, sprinkle lightly with salt, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
- Remove salad from fridge, the salt will have allowed the veggies to make a nice juice, dump the salad in a large bowl and toss well. I serve this salad on top of toasted Chateau Bread Dumplings but you can leave the bread out for it to be carb free friendly.
- Drizzle very lightly with the dressing and serve the rest on the side for people to add as they choose.
This salad makes a great dish for a party, a make ahead dinner or for lunch for the week. It needs very little dressing because the veggies, herbs, meat and cheeses make it so tasty. I hope you enjoy making it and eating it.
For more great salad ideas, check out my recipe for Summer Fruit Salad