Breakfast Bread That Anyone Can Bake
It’s rare that I miss a meal, obviously. But one meal I never seem to eat is breakfast. This leaves me hungry and crabby by the time lunch rolls around. Desperate to eat I often choose something that isn’t great for me. I decided to make it a personal goal to try to eat something at least somewhat healthy for me in the morning. This is why I created a breakfast bread that anyone can bake, even people who can’t bake well, like me.
This breakfast bread is filled with healthy things and it has minimal refined sugar. I was able to find all the ingredients for this bread at Aldi, it cost about $15 in ingredients and the bread yielded enough for a family of four for a week. It is also able to be easily frozen.
Here is what you need:
- 2 C of Flour, I used AP Flour, you can sub any flour of your choice
- 2 T of Baking Powder
- 1 t of Salt
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 C of Sugar
- 1 C of Shredded Carrot
- 1 C of Dried Banana Chips + 1/2 C for the top
- 2 Eggs
- 8 T of Butter, Melted
- 1 C of Raisins
- 1/2 C of Flax Seed
- 1 C of Chopped Kale
- 1/2 C of Milk
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer combine the avocado, butter, sugar, milk eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add in the carrots and raisins and combine well, crush your banana chips and add that.
- Add in the kale.
- Slowly add the flour mixture a little at a time until it is well combined.
- Add in the flax-seed and combine.
- Meanwhile prepare your pan. I used a bundt pan, sprayed with non stick spray, floured and then I spread the remaining banana chips on the bottom. I sometimes add nuts or sunflower seeds here as well. Just about a 1/2 cup. You can use any pan you choose, you may just need to split the batter depending on the size of the pan you use, but prepare the pans the same way.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, pour your batter into your pan(s).
- Every oven is different, my bread baked for 45 minutes. Yours may need less or more time. A toothpick should come out of the center clean when the bread is done.
- The last step is key. You MUST let the bread cool, in the pan, for an hour. Then use a knife to loosen the bread around the edges of the pan. Use a plate or cutting board on the top of the pan and flip the bread over onto the plate.
This bread will make your house smell like a home. It is nice to make on a weekend and have it for the week’s breakfasts. You can use butter on top or cream cheese. This bread will keep you and your family filled up for the morning and ready to take on the day. The kids won’t know about all the veggies inside. Pro Tip, it also goes great with a nice cup of coffee. Enjoy your morning!
For another healthy dish, check out my recipe for Crispy Kale Popcorn.