Salami and Cheddar Beach Snacks
Salami and Cheddar Beach Snacks Inspiration
For years I taught pre school for the Chicago Park District. There was a Grandmother who used to make these for every classroom party. They were so simple, so delicious, didn’t cost a lot of money to make and people went crazy for them. I was meeting a bunch of friends at the beach and I needed to bring a snack and I remembered these mini sandwiches that Grandma made. I whipped up a batch and they turned out to be the BEST thing to eat at the beach, or while swimming. These Salami and Cheddar Beach Snacks are perfect for a day of fun in the sun because they are small, you use a toothpick to eat them, so sandy sandwiches, and they fulfill your hunger without being too heavy.
Salami or Cheddar
I use salami and cheddar in these sandwiches, but any. meat and cheese combination will do. Another favorite for me is Polish Ham and Land O’ Lakes American cheese. You can also make this as a vegetarian option with hummus, roasted veggies and lettuce. There are so many ways to make these Beach Snacks.
Make A Lot, These Go Fast
I used to just use one loaf of bread to make these, but I started to see that these little bites of heaven were eaten in minutes. I have no started making two loaves of bread and and doubling up on my deli order. It is also fun to make a variety of different meats and cheeses.
Pack Them Up To Go
The way that I keep these fresh is putting them in a large tupperware container. I cover the tops loosely with plastic wrap then I wet a few paper towels and wring them out very good and drape them over the plastic wrap so that the bread stays moist. I also use the lid from the tupperware to keep them even fresher. If you want to make these sandwiches ahead of time, they can be made a day in advance, but don’t cut them until you are ready to pack them up to go. I assemble the sandwiches and wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge overnight until I am ready to cut them and pack them up.
Time For The Recipe
Below is the complete and printable recipe with the step by step. I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. You will be the hit of every get together. Keep in mind you will be asked to make these every single time you are invited to a party!
- 1 Loaf of White Bread
- 1/2 pound of hard salami, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound of cheddar cheese, sliced thin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of Mayo
- 8 Iceberg lettuce leaves , washed
- Cut the crusts off all the slices of white bread.
- Spread a little bit of mayo on each slice of bread.
- On each slice add one slice of salami and one slice of cheddar cheese, plus a small piece of iceberg lettuce.
- Assemble the sandwiches with two layers and top with a plain piece of bread.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters and stick a toothpick into each little square.
- Pack up the sandwiches in a large tupperware and take on the go!