Derby Day Tea
Derby Day Tea
This Derby Day Tea is a refreshing drink that is also fun and beautiful to look at. Brewed with Hibiscus Tea, and mixed with pink lemonade, mint and lemons, this is a drink you can sip on all day. If you would like to make it a little more spicy, feel free to add a shot of flavored vodka or bourbon. Additionally, you can double this recipe to make a bigger batch. It stores in the fridge for up to three days.
The full, printable recipe is below. Beyond that, I have included some pictures and information for those who may need more information or clarity.
Full, Printable Recipe
- 2 Hibiscus Tea Bags
- 2 to 4 Cups of Pink Raspberry Simply Lemonade
- 2 Cups of Water
- 2 Cups Crushed Ice
- Small Handful of Fresh Mint
- 1 Lemon Sliced Thinly
- Bring two cups of water to a boil and add the 2 hibiscus tea bags. Add some of the mint, leave in fridge overnight.
- After the tea has sat overnight, strain out the bags and the mint leaves.
- Add crushed ice to a pitcher, add the tea and the lemonade. Add the lemon slices and some more of the mint. Stir well. If you would like it sweeter, add more of the lemonade.
- Serve in glasses filled with crushed ice, some fresh mint, and lemon slices.
- This tea would also be good with a shot of flavored vodka or a shot of bourbon.
The ingredients for this drink are very simple. Any hibiscus tea will do. They sell this brand of tea at Whole Foods and I really liked it. I also love using the Simply brand for the lemonade and other juices that they offer. I like that they add sweetness, but they are not overly sweet. This raspberry lemonade was delicious with this drink.
The Infamous Lewis Ice Bag
I learned about this Lewis Ice Bag from watching a Bravo show called Southern Charm. One of the main characters on the show was a woman name Patricia Altschul and she used one of these bags to crush her ice for her martinis. I had to have one. I use it to make drinks, and my iced coffee. You can find one on Amazon and it comes with the bag and the ice mallet to crush the ice. It is under twenty dollars. It makes a great gift. The crushed ice this bag makes is almost like snow cone ice. It is not like the sharp crushed ice that comes out of the freezer.
Another Great Recipe
A great recipe to serve with this tea is my Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Dressing. This salad and dressing is a copycat of the famous salad from California Pizza Kitchen. It is one of my favorites. The tea and salad make a great Ladies Lunch menu. I also have a great iced coffee recipe that also uses the ice bag!