I have to be honest, the first time I made this, it was not a recipe that would fit into the Tough Day Dinner category. I had wanted to make an easy scalloped potato shepherd’s pie but the first version did not work out. I attempted it again and made a few adjustments and it came out perfectly!
My family loves a shepherd’s pie, but a traditional one can take some time. I chopped all my veggies for this dish, but to make it easier on yourself you can easily use cut veggies or frozen. You can also make this casserole ahead of time, freeze it and bake it at another time.
Here is what you will need to get:
- 2 lbs of Ground beef, or any ground protein of your choice.
- 2 Packets of Gravy
- 1 C of Frozen Corn
- 1 C of Frozen Peas
- 1 C of Carrots, Diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Stalk of Celery, Diced
- 2 Boxes of Instant Scalloped Potatoes and the ingredients need to make that as outlined on the package.
- 2 C of Shredded Cheese of your choice, I used a Havarti
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder to taste or 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 1 T of Parsley, minced
- Olive Oil
I was able to make this entire dish in a skillet and bowl. The first time I made this, I didn’t cook the potatoes ahead of time and it didn’t work out. So the first step:
- Make the scalloped potatoes according to package directions. I used the microwave directions. Set aside when done.
- Add olive oil to your skillet and add the carrots, onions, garlic and celery. Cook until softened.
- Add your ground protein to the skillet and cook until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat and add the two pouches of gravy, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and chili powder and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn and frozen peas.
- Remove from heat and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Top skillet with the prepared scalloped potatoes, cover with oven safe lid or foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, remove lid or foil and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes more or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- The last step is very important, let this dish sit out of the oven for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Top with a sprinkle of black pepper, parsley and chili powder.
You can make this dish ahead of time and freeze fully cooked or freeze before the baking step. This dish makes a great freezer meal. Add the cheese when you make it in the oven. This is a super hearty meal and yields enough for a family of four with enough leftovers for a second meal or two lunches. the leftovers can also be easily frozen.
This dish will be a huge hit with any cheese lovers. I am glad that I reworked the recipe because it was a huge hot with the family. Coming in at a cost of about $20 it is also an affordable meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
For another great tough Day Dinner CLICK HERE FOR A SKILLET LASAGNA