Hasselback Potatoes with Onions
The Best Grilled Side Dish
These grilled potatoes are the perfect side dish to any grilled protein. They also make a complete meal if you’re looking for a delicious vegetarian meal. What makes these potatoes special is that they can be made ahead of time and reheated in the microwave, air fryer or toaster oven. The simple flavors make an easy Summer recipe that the whole family will love.
The Super Secret Chef’s Trick
The trick to these potatoes is making sure you make deep cuts without cutting all the way through the potato. The way to do this is by using the handle from a wooden spoon, placed next to the potato so that it will stop your knife from cutting all the way through the potato, yet allowing the cuts to be deep enough. You will make cuts all the way down your potato so that you can season the potato from within and the potato will cook faster than your typical baked potato.
Seasoning Is Key
The trick to making really good potatoes is to not be afraid of seasoning. Potatoes need a lot of seasoning to taste delicious. I like to use a good butter and oil in this recipe, in addition to salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, dried rosemary and parsley. You can use any spices and herbs as you like. Make sure you use a decent amount of salt so that your potato is flavorful.
Don’t Forget Your Onion
I like to use a yellow onion for this recipe. The sweetness of the onion also adds a lot of flavor to the potato. Make sure that you oil up your onion and season it as well. The onion will cook along with the potato and have a caramelized flavor that will perfect accent your potato. Cutting these onions into half circles that are on the slightly thinner side. This will allow you to slip the onion between every potato slice and add optimal flavor.
Everything Is Better With Butter
I like to make a seasoned butter for the tops of these potatoes. Use a higher quality butter to take this recipe to the next level. After you place these potatoes in their foil wrappers, you spread the seasoned butter across the top before sealing up the foil and placing them on a hot grill over indirect heat. These potatoes will cook quickly and that delicious butter will melt into every crevice.
Great For The Grill Or The Oven
If you don’t have a grill, these potatoes can cook in your oven, your toaster oven, or your air fryer. The cook times will vary depending on what you are using. You can easily check the doneness of the potato by sticking a fork or knife through the foil when they are cooking. When the potato is soft, you will know it’s done. I check the potato often about 20 minutes into cooking. On my small grill, these take about 25 to 35 minutes.
Get The Recipe Here
- 2 Large Idaho Potatoes
- 1 medium to large yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of oil of your choice
- Salt, Pepper, Dried Rosemary, Dried Parsley, Garlic and Onion Powder
- Scrub your potatoes well and leave the skin on.
- Clean your onion .and slice them into 1/2 of an inch half circles
- Place your potato next to the handle of a wooden spoon and slice through the potato across the length of the whole potato. Don't cut all the way through, the wooden handle of the spoon will help to make even cuts and stop the knife from going all the way through.
- Using a pastry brush, carefully brush all sides of the potato with the oil and carefully get the oil brushed in between the potato slices.
- Season the space in between the slices with the herbs and spices and the salt and pepper.
- Brush the half circle slices of the onions with the oil as well and season the onion slices with all the herbs and spices and the salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the onion slices in between the slits in the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in foil , soften the butter and season the butter with the herbs and spices and salt and pepper, spread a thick layer of butter across the top of each potato.
- Loosely seal the foil over the top of the potato, heat your grill up to 500 degrees and place the potatoes on the grill over indirect heat.
- Potatoes will need to cook for 35 minutes or so, you will know they are done when they are soft when you poke them with a fork or knife.
- You can also cook these potatoes in a 450 degree oven for about the same amount of time.
- When the potatoes are done, slice the potatoes down the center lengthwise, then in half, then you have four servings.
Serve It Up
This recipe will quickly become one of your favorites. I like to serve this as it is or you can serve it topped with fresh sour cream and chives. I think that you will enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
For more recipe ideas and cooking videos, check out my Instagram @thetipsyhousewife