This Spring Salad will be the centerpiece of all your Spring special occasion meals. Made with romaine and arugula, pea pods, shaved carrots, green onions, radish, and purple cabbage. This salad also has a honey goat cheese, and sprigs of fresh dill and rosemary. You add a little salt and pepper, cover it and let it hang out in the fridge for a few hours. You will have a beautifully presented salad that is aromatic and infused with the flavors of the fresh herbs.
French Quarter Dressing
Serve this salad with this delicious and creamy French Quarter Dressing. Made with mayo, sour cream, buttermilk and shallots, this dressing will compliment the flavors of the fresh herbs. I f you do not feel like making a homemade dressing, a creamy buttermilk ranch will be perfect.
Full, Printable Recipe
- 1 heart of romaine, cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 handfuls of arugula about 4 to 6 cups
- 6 hardboiled eggs
- 2 cups of pea pods
- 1 cup of thinly sliced radishes
- 2 large carrots peeled thinly with a vegetable peeler
- 2 cups of shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups of green onions
- 1 cup sliced red onions
- A few bunches of Fresh Dill
- 4 to 6 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- Separate Recommended Salad Dressing Recipe Linked In Blog Post
- Wash and dry all your vegetable.
- Slice your green onions into thin slices.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel long thin peels of carrot.
- Using a fork in one end of each radish, use your vegetable peeler to create very thin slices. You can also use a knife and cut the radish thinly.
- Hard boil your eggs and cut each egg in half.
- Toss the arugula, chopped romaine, carrot peels, purple cabbage and green onions together.
- Top the salad with the radish slices, red onions, hard boil eggs, pea pods and teaspoons fulls of the honey goat cheese or top of the salt. You can also add heirloom tomatoes for color and flavor.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh dill and rosemary, cover and refrigerate 4 hours before serving for it to become aromatic and and infuse flavor into the veggies and cheese. Make sure to remove the stems of rosemary before serving.
Texture Is Important
The thing I like about this salad is all the different textures and sizes of the vegetables. I have a great vegetable peeler that can easily make the thin shreds of carrot you see pictured. The veggie peelers I use to make my salad veggies special are LINKED HERE on Amazon. The come in a three pack and they each have a unique peeler style. I love how sharp they are. Use caution when using them or use a fork to hold your vegetables.
The Romaine and the Arugula and a great sweet and peppery flavor to this salad. With the lettuce and all the veggies, the salad doesn’t even need salad dressing after you add a little salt and pepper.
Honey goat cheese and hardboiled eggs add a creamy and rich texture to this crisp salad.