This is Tipsy’s take on the traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage, Saint Patrick’s Day Dinner. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good tradition, but this year I wanted to mix it up a little bit. For this recipe you can use leftover corned beef you make the traditional way, or you can purchase cooked corned beef from the deli. I recommend using the leftovers from your traditional dinner to mix it up!
- Serves 2 to 4
- Prep Time – 15 Minutes
- Does Not Keep Well, Eat Right Away
- Level of Difficulty – Easy
10 to 12 thick cut slices of corned beef. I griddle mine on a skillet before assembling the sandwich, this is not a necessary step.
6 slices of swiss cheese
Rye Bread with Seeds
1/2 Head of Green Cabbage, sliced chiffonade (in ribbons)
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
1 Seasoning Pack from a corned beef, or mix 1 tsp mustard seed with 1 tsp caraway and salt and pepper to taste.
15 potato slices from my Skillet Irish Potatoes – Recipe Here (These can be omitted) If using I also brown until crispy on a skillet.
2 T Mayonnaise
- Toss cabbage and carrots, vinegar and seasonings. Let sit, overnight is best, but not totally necessary.
- “Butter” outside of bread with mayo.
- Layer the bread slices with corned beef, cheese, and potatoes, top with bread slice.
- Grill until each side is toasted and cheese is melted.
- Open sandwich and top with slaw, slice and enjoy!
The Irish Skillet Potatoes can be found HERE