If you know me or have been following me for some time, you should know that I have a theory that a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makes it for you. This theory is true for me except for when it comes to my Tuna Salad Sandwich. I need to make my own Tuna Salad Sandwich for me to enjoy it. I only have a taste for this sandwich once maybe twice a year, but when I do, it is oh so good. It is definitely a classic. My Tuna Salad Sandwich recipe has been a well-kept secret but I am going to share it with you. It calls for some very specific ingredients and a specific process to make it. Here is what you will need to buy:
- 1 Large Can of Tuna in Water, I will only use Starkist
- 1 Medium White Onion, Diced
- 3 Dill Pickles, they must be cold packed pickles, I will only use Claussen
- 5 Green Onions, Minced
- 1 C of Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 1 T of Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 C Kale, Stems Removed, Minced
- 2 Pieces, per sandwich of white bread, toasted. I used brioche.
- 1 Roma Tomato, Sliced Thin
- Salt & Pepper
The steps are the usual, but the key is to get the right ratio of tuna salad to bread. Here is what you need to do:
- Make sure you drain the tuna really well.
- Stir in the mayo, mustard, kale, pickles, onions, & green onions.
- Let the tuna mix sit in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Toast your bread to your desired doneness.
- Spread both sides of the bread with more mayo, I like a thin layer.
- Next add the tuna salad to only one side of the bread. To the other side, add the thinly sliced roma tomatoes.
- Salt and Pepper both the tuna side and the tomato side.
- Place your two halves together and then the sandwich must be sliced on the diagonal.
If you follow my steps exactly, you will be treated to the most perfect Tuna Salad Sandwich you have ever had and you will no longer make it or eat it any other way. It is the perfect balance of texture and flavor. Who wants to ruin a sandwich with celery anyway! Hope you enjoy!
For another great lunch idea, check out my recipe for Ramen Noodle Salad