Beans, Greens & Proteins Recipe Challenge
A few months back I formed a virtual women’s group on Instagram with fellow recipe creating food bloggers. I sought out women from different states so that we created a well-rounded group with various culinary backgrounds and tastes. This group has been one of the most supportive group of women I have ever professionally worked with.
As I was creating my content calendar for January, recipes with a healthier twist, I had this great idea to bring a cooking challenge to my ladies group. The challenge was that you were to create a recipe using three components: beans, greens and a protein, and the entire recipe couldn’t exceed more than ten ingredients total. Salt, Pepper and One Cooking Oil did not count in the total.
We all posted about it on Instagram and soon we had other Instagram community members asking to participate, so we opened it up to everyone. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the recipes that the ladies all came up with. One was as creative and delicious as the next! I have gathered all the recipes in this blog post with links to each contributors individual blogs (if they have a blog). I also linked their Instagram Pages to their name. I hope you check them all out because these women are producing some amazing food in their kitchens.
Lauren made this lovely Pork and Pineapple Cauliflower Fried Rice. Don’t let the presentation scare you, the recipe is quite easy. You can find the recipe right HERE.
Sadie made this gorgeous blackened fish bowl with a homemade green goddess dressing. For the recipe CLICK HERE.
Lola is from Texas, land of the go big or go home. Well for this challenge she went big! Check out here Shrimp Dish by CLICKING HERE.
Midge came in HOT with this steak and homemade chimichurri sauce. You can find the recipe by clicking on here name, finding this picture on here instagram page and the recipe is in the caption!
Mandee is one of my all time favorite food bloggers. She made this delicious looking soup by doing a fridge forage for ingredients. Can you imagine what she can make with specific ingredients?! Check out her recipes HERE!
Jo recently launched her new blog! You can find her blog here TheSavvyGourmand.com. She made this great and innovative Salad with a citrus vinaigrette. Here is Jo’s Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 bunch kale, torn into pieces
- *Chicken – whatever you have in stock. If frozen, thaw first.
- Pinch of Aleppo Chile Pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Green (french) Lentil Beans
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 medium Red Onion, finely minced
- 2 Oranges
- 1 tsp Grain Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400^F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss cauliflower pieces with EVOO, salt & pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast for approx. 40- 50 minutes or until tender and golden brown on top. (At 40 minutes, I checked it and threw my kale on, see step 3.)
- Prepare second baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat chicken dry. Toss with EVOO, salt & pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast for 1 hour or until cooked through. Turn halfway through. Once done, set aside to cool. Once cool enough to touch, chop or pull from bones and shred.
- Remove kale from stems. Tear kale into small pieces. Separate kale in two parts. Reserve half for salad. Toss the other half with EVOO, salt & pepper and place on baking sheet with cauliflower or in place of cauliflower if it is done. This will save you some cleanup. Bake for 20 minutes. (I left my cauliflower on the pan and moved it over to the side as I felt it needed a few more minutes in the oven.)
- While the cauliflower, kale and chicken are cooking… make the lentils and the salad dressing. Rinse the lentils and place in a pot with the bay leaf, a pinch of salt and about an inch of water to cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain lentils. Toss with about 1 tbsp of salad dressing.
- **For salad dressing: Mix 5 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice, mustard, honey, salt & pepper to taste and 2 tbsp red onions. Segment the remaining orange(s) to toss in the salad.
- Toss 2 tbsp dressing with reserved kale and let sit. This will break the kale down a bit. Then add the chicken, cauliflower, orange segments, crispy kale chips and green lentils and toss with the rest of the dressing & red onions if you like.
- *Note: for the chicken, this can be breasts, legs, thighs, drumsticks, etc. and as little or as much as you have or want to add to your salad. For mine, I used drumsticks and pulled and shredded the meat from the bones.
- **Add some white balsamic vinegar to the dressing for extra zing!
This was one of the big winners! Sarah really outdid herself on this recipe. She was a fan favorite and was one of the two winners! Sarah doesn’t have her blog yet so here is here recipe!
- For the Pasta Dough:
- 130 grams 00 flour
- 50 grams egg (about 1 large egg)
- 45 grams egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 gram extra virgin olive oil
- For the filling:
- 140 grams ricotta cheese
- 80 grams lobster claw meat (cooked & finely diced)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- (egg wash prepared & set aside for assembly)
- For the Puree:
- Zest and juice of one meyer lemon
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 30 grams arugula
- 15 grams fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 9 grams olive oil
- 2 cups english or sweet peas
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- a handful of small fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
Megan is a doctor by day and master chef by night. She made this great salmon dish for her and her new hubby! You can click her name and you will find this recipe in the caption of this picture on her Instagram page!
A healthy recipe with some latin flair. Doesn’t this one look so fresh and delicious?! Kat’s recipe for this picadillo bowl can be found HERE!
Flo’s Favorites, is my favorite. She made these awesome shrimp bowls. Wow is all I can say! You can find the recipe on her blog HERE!
Allie and her husband are keto newleyweds. She made this fabulous stuffed chicken breast. You can find this recipe HERE!
Another recipe that blew my mind! Irish made these chick pea cups and they look like they are to die for! You can find her recipe HERE !
How fancy and cheerful is this recipe?! Lemony Garbanzo and kale with an Egg Hat! You can find the recipe by clicking on her name and the recipe is in the caption of this picture on her Instagram feed.
Amy is an Instagram and Food Blogging master! She was the other big winner with these fish tacos in lettuce wraps. Just amazing and gorgeous! You can find her recipe HERE along with a million other great recipes!
This was my contribution. I made a grilled turley italian sausage with a bean and cauliflower giardiniera. You can find my recipe HERE.
This recipe challenge was so much fun. Stay tuned for a new challenge coming soon. Maybe you will even decide to join us!
Please make sure to go and follow these other great blogger for recipes and fun!
Thanks for reading!