Classic Baked Noodles
Classic Egg Noodles
My late mother in law is remembered for a lot of things. Her pleasant and cheerful disposition, her humor and most importantly, all the delicious recipes she made for her family. Food was love for her and it shows in every recipe she made. This recipe for Classic Baked Noodles is shockingly simple yet so comforting and delicious. The ingredients may surprise you. Cream cheese, butter, vanilla and sugar mixed with egg noodles. The final result is a buttery and delicious noodle dish that just hits the spot.
While this dish may seem unusual with the addition of the sweet components like the sugar and the vanilla, it is actually a delicious savory dinner or side dish option. The end result is a very rich and buttery version of simple buttered noodles. Serve this dish with some fresh peas and your favorite grilled protein. I love making these noodles with some grilled, smoked sausage as well.
Egg noodles make a great base for these baked noodles. Their wide flat surface are is just perfect for the cream cheese and the butter. These noodles are also perfect if you want to add diced ham or sausage to this dish. Use a good quality egg noodle. A great list is LINKED HERE.
Something Sweet To Make Something Savory
This noodle dish although made with sweet ingredients like vanilla and sugar, actually yields a delicious savory dish. The addition of cream cheese, butter, nutmeg, garlic, salt and pepper make it perfect for dinner.
- 1 .5 to 2 lb bags of the 12 ounce egg noodles (Depending on how saucy you like it, I use 1.5 bag for a more "saucy" noodle bake. For more dryer noodles use 2 lbs)
- 2 packages of cream cheese (8 ounces each)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Sugar to taste ( i use 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- Boil noodles and drain.
- Make sure your cream cheese and butter is room temp ahead of time. While the noodles cook, cut the butter and cream cheese into small cubes.
- Drain the noodles and add back to the warm pot and immediately add the cream cheese and butter. It varies how much cream cheese I use. I sometimes like to use more and sometimes less. It depends on how cheesy you want this. I suggest starting with 1.5 bricks of the cream cheese. Stir the butter and cream cheese into the noodles and keep stirring until both the butter and the cream cheese are mostly melted.
- In a bowl add the milk, the sugar, the vanilla and the spices and seasonings and whisk until combined. Add to the noodles. Stir well until combined.
- Add to a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.
- Sprinkle a little dried pasrley on top before serving.
Make It A Complete Meal
Make this baked noodle dish a complete meal with this delicious blue cheese chopped salad, served on the side.