Puffy Chicken Tacos An Easy Meal
Puffy Chicken Tacos
Puffy chicken tacos, an easy meal. There is a printable recipe at the bottom of this post so you can skip ahead if you like. I ate tacos like this a few years back when I was working in Los Angeles read about this Taco Stand HERE. The shells were light as air and were the perfect accompaniment to the savory and spicy taco fillings. Recently, someone posted on Instagram about puffy tacos and it reminded me of them so I decided to recreate them at home. These tacos are made with my chicken taco filling but ANY taco filling will do. Feel free to add beef, steak or even make them vegetarian. YThese Puffy Chicken Tacos will be a family favorite and you will love them too when you see how easy they are to make.
Chicken Taco Filling
This chicken taco filling is so simple to make. When I make it, I double the recipe and use the leftovers for salads and sandwiches throughout the week. It only has three ingredients: the chicken, a packet of taco seasoning , a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis and water. So I guess 4 ingredients if you count water. This is what makes these puffy chicken tacos an easy meal. The full, printable recipe is below. But the long and short of it, is that you add all of these things to a skillet and let it simmer away for twenty five minutes. Easy Peasy!
Frying The Biscuits
Theres just a couple of tips to frying the biscuits for the taco shells that make this recipe even easier. Let the biscuits warm up a little before trying to flatten them, make sure when you do flatten them you make the edges as flat or flatter as the center so they fry properly and finally, take them out of the frying oil RIGHT BEFORE they look done. This is because the oil on the surface area still continues to cook the outer layer and you want to make sure these don’t get too brown.
Full, Printable Recipe Below
- 1 Can of Refrigerated Biscuit Dough
- 1 lb of Chicken Strips
- 1 14.5 ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili
- 1 Packet of Taco Seasoning
- 14.5 ounces of water
- Approx. 2 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- Oil for cooking chicken
- Taco Toppings
- Sour Cream
- Taco Sauce
- Cut your chicken strips into small, bite sized pieces. Toss with the packet of Taco Seasoning.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a skillet and add your cut up chicken.
- Cook chicken until it is browned and add your can of diced tomatoes and green chilis. Plus a can full (14.5 ounces) of water.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally, simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove your biscuits from the can and separate, let sit on a plate or cutting board for 15 minutes to soften, then press each biscuit out into a flat, approximately 6in round circle. Make sure your edges are flatter than the center for optimal frying.
- In a separate skillet, heat your two cups of oil until hot, but not smoking.
- Add one biscuit at a time a fry for about one minute before flipping and frying the other side. These fry quickly. Take them out just before they look the golden shade of brown for doneness. This is because the hot oil will continue to cook the outer layer even after you remove it from the pan and the biscuit will get darker. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the biscuits are fried.
- When your chicken is done, layer your tacos as you would a typical shell with the meat, cheese and all the toppings.
Puffy shells can be reheated in a low temp oven or in a toaster oven or air fryer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Taco night is one of our favorite dinner nights of the week. If you want another great recipe for tacos, check out this recipe for my Super Secret Steak Taco Recipe.