Easy Baked Steak with Savory Mushroom Gravy
Easy Baked Steak with Savory Mushroom Gravy is total comfort food.
I’ve always seen cube steak at the grocery store and wondered what to do with it. I was going through some old cookbooks and found a recipe for Easy Baked Steak with Savory Mushroom Gravy and gave it a try. Easy Baked Steak with Savory Mushroom Gravy is total comfort food. The recipe was easy to follow and I added a few Tipsy touches to the recipe.
Cubed steak is fairly reasonable priced. I believe it is round roast that is run through a tenderizer, but the trick to making it more tender is cooking it low and slow. This recipe I made in my oven but you can add it to a crock pot and cooking it for six to eight hours. I was able to purchase these four cuts of round steak for around six dollars. It fed two of us, and we had leftovers for two different small meals.
Mushrooms and Onions
I added the extra step of slicing and sautéing some fresh mushrooms and onions, which really added to the recipe and the flavors of the gravy. If you are in a time crunch, you do not have to do this step. You can just use the cans of soup and the dried onion soup packet to save time. But this step does make the recipe for Easy Baked Steak with Mushroom Gravy extra special.
Extra Comforting and Extra Tender
This recipe is the ultimate comfort food in my opinion. The meat was so tender after cooking it low and slow. I have a similar recipe on the blog for Round Steak and Gravy that I make in my instant pot. You can get that recipe by CLICKING HERE.
- 4 slices (1 pound) of Cube Steak
- *meat can be doubled without increasing other ingredients
- 1 Can of Campbell's Beef Consommé
- 1 Can of Campbells French Onion Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 Cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 /2 packet of Beefy or Regular French Onion Soup Mix
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Dried Parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 Tablespoon of White Flour ( I use Wondra)
- Season the steaks with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Let sit on counter for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the soups and the onion soup packet, add some dried parsley and black pepper.
- Heat two tablespoons of the butter in a skillet and add your cube steaks and brown for a couple minutes on each side.
- Add the steaks to a baking dish.
- Add the rest of the butter to the same skillet, then add your mushrooms and onions, sauté until golden brown. Sprinkle the flour all over the mushroom mixture and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add the soup to the pan, stir and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour over the steaks, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for two hours. This can also be added to a crock pot on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.