Mom’s Pork Roast
Mom’s Pork Roast
My Mom has been making this Pork roast recipe for as long as I can remember. It is so simple, yet so delicious. You will see in the full, printable recipe below that it is made with very few ingredients. The secret to this recipe is buying the right cut of meat, making sure the fat side is up, seasoning it, and then having the patience to let this cook, in the oven, low and slow. Mom’s Pork Roast is tender, flavorful and delicious. The nutty flavors of the caraway seed with the salt, pepper and sugar, make it the perfect blend of flavors.
We have always eaten this pork roast with steamed Chateau brand Czech Bread Dumplings. Mom also serves this with gravy made from a Knorr packet, the brown gravy flavor, with some of meat drippings added in. Mom also sautés some chopped cabbage with pork bacon and salt and pepper. It is always a delicious comfort food meal.
Full, Printable Recipe
Mom's Pork Roast
Mom has been making this pork roast for as long as I can remember. I finally got her to write down the recipe and it is very basic ingredients. the trick to this recipe is low and slow. It is all about having patience to wait for this to be done. To answer your wuestion, No, it does not come ou the same in the slow cooker. This must be done in the oven, in a black and white speckled roaster with a lid, if possible. We eat this pork roast with Czech bread dumplings, sautéed cabbage and gravy that she makes from a packet. It is simple and delicious.
- 1 Pork Shoulder about 4 to 5 lbs
- *Make sure it is a pork shoulder with a bone or boneless
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Caraway Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Of White Sugar
- Put the roast in a speckled roaster with a lid or something similar. Make sure the fat cap side is up. There will be a side with a layer of fat, that is the fat cap.
- Season the top with the salt, pepper, onion and garlic and onion powders, sugar and caraway seeds.
- No liquid needs to be added, the meat will make its own steam and liquid as it cooks.
- Cover and roast at 325 degrees for about 4 or 5 hours. Halfway through if you check and it's super dry, add a half cup of water and turn down the temperature to 300 degrees.
- Low and slow is the key, it will brown evenly even when covered.
- When you can pull the bone right out or the meat pulls apart easily, it's done.
- Serve with a packet of knorr brand brown gravy made according to the package and add some of the drippings from the pan to the gravy.
What Are Bread Dumplings
Chateau Bread Dumplings are a classic Chicago made staple. They are a Czech food that is very popular served in the Czech Republic. Bread dumplings are softer than bread, yet more dense if that makes sense. They are steamed so they hold the gravy and they don’t fall apart. We have been eating bread dumplings for our whole lives. My Mom grew up on them, and my Grandma. They are readily sold in the frozen food section all over Chicagoland, like Jewel Osco.
I will link their retail locator for other stores that sell them. Chateau Retail Locator. I highly encourage you to try them with this dish if you can get them. If not, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes or buttered noodles are also great. You can also try to make your own bread dumplings, they are called Knedliky, and HERE is a recipe and more information about this classic Czech delicacy.
The Speckled Roaster
Mom talks about a speckled roaster in the recipe. Pictured above is the speckled roaster she talks about. This roaster is fairly inexpensive. I see them at stores all over and hardware stores and on amazon. What makes this roaster perfect is I think the surface area is small so the liquid doesn’t evaporate quickly, the lid fits right and the thickness of this roaster allows for things to roast but also brown. There has never been a roaster more perfect than this classic, especially for this recipe. Everyone in my family has one. It is a very common kitchen item if you grew up on the Southwest side of Chicago. I have seen these at Walmart as well. I will link the roaster on amazon HERE. It is $27. This is an affiliate link, meaning if you buy from this link, amazon pays me a few cents. I do think this is cheaper at a hardware store or walmart. But I highly recommend using this to make this.
Another Great Recipe
If you would like to try another one of my recipes, try my recipe for the Pasta Salad. it was a huge hit this year for Easter recipes and it is great for the warmer weather.
You must log in to post a comment.