World’s Best Tomato Soup
World’s Best Tomato Soup
This is the World’s Best Tomato Soup. I swear by this recipe. the surprising additon of canned or bottled tomato juice is what gives it the rich flavor. This tomato soup tastes as if you simmered it all day when in reality it cooks up in under and hour. Perfect accompaniment to a toasty grilled cheese sandwich.
One Of The Secret Ingredients
I use 46 ounces of V8 juice for this soup. It adds an all day flavor to the soup. This gives your soup a rich taste and texture. You will see how great your soup comes out using this. I also sometimes use a spicy V8 for something with a little kick.
Marsala Cooking Wine
I use this brand of cooking wine. it says on the label that it is 14% alcohol by ABV but it is sold in the salad dressing aisle and you do not need to be 21 to purchase as it is considered unfit to drink. You use only 2 tablespoons and MOST of the alcohol burns off from cooking so it is considered non alcoholic. If you do not want to use this you can sub a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar instead. I like this one from Holland House as it does not have too much sodium. You an also use this cooking wine to marinate meat in as well. This adds a brightness to this recipe for the soup that will have people asking. What’s in this?
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
The perfect side to this soup is of course grilled cheese. I also have a great recipe for toasty ham and cheese sandwiches that would also be great for this soup. You can find the recipe for my Toasty Ham and Cheese By Clicking Here.
- 46 ounce bottle of V8 Juice (original but you an also use spicy)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes or a 1/2 tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, very finely diced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar, sometimes I use a little more, add it and taste
- 2 tablespoons of Marsala Cooking wine (it say it is 14% alcohol by volume but sold in the salad dressing aisle it is considered unfit for drinking and the alcohol burns off when cooking)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh basil (before chopping)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (before chopping)
- black pepper to taste
- Add your butter to a soup pot. Then add your onions and sauté until the onions are soft and golden brown. Add your bouillon and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until the bouillon dissolves.
- Add your black pepper and season to taste.
- Add your marsala cooking wine and the cans of tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and then chop your basil and parsely. I like to do a fine mince and add it to the sauce. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Whisk until disoolved and taste. Add more if needed. This is to neutralize the acid of the tomatoes.
- Add the bottle of the V8 juice, bring to a low boil, stir, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After the thirty minutes, I like to use my immersion blender and purée the chunks of tomato but this is not required.
- Turn off the heat and stir in your heavy cream. You can use more or less than I did.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and a grilled cheese sandwich!
Taste and Adjust To Your Preferences
You can adjust any of the ingredients in this recipe to your liking. You can use the low sodium V8 if you like to watch your sodium intake. Use dried herbs instead of fresh if you do not have basil and parsley on hand. You can also use vegetarian bouillon if you are meat free.