Fall Salad with Crispy Onion Rings
Fall Salad with Crispy Onion Rings
This Fall Salad with Crispy Onion Rings has a tangy honey mustard dressing that makes it the perfect blend of flavors. This is a great meatless meal that everyone will love and no one will miss the meat. Crisp romaine, dried cranberries, green onions, creamy goat cheese, apples, all topped with a crispy onion ring you can buy frozen and make in your air fryer or oven. A perfect Fall meal.
The full, printable recipe is on a recipe card at the end of this post. There is also a Pinterest button at the top right of the recipe card that you can use to pin this recipe to save it! If you are on Pinterest, give me a follow at The Tipsy Housewife.
The Goat Cheese
This is the brand of the crumbled goat cheese that I get from Aldi. I like this goat cheese because it is very mild. Even those who do not like goat cheese seem to like this cheese in the salad. If you absolutely do not like goat cheese, you can definitely sub any other kind of cheese that you like. With the apples in the salad, I would recommend a sharp cheddar or a creamy havarti for this salad.
Honey Crisp Apples
I love using a honesycrisp apple in this salad because it is a dense apple that has some tartness to it. It is also sweet and crisp. I love using these apples in Fall salads for the flavors and texture that it adds to the salads. You can also use a pink lady apple or an ambrosia apple. If you cannot find any of these seasonal apples, you can also use a green apple.
Layering The Salad
I like to layer this salad in a pan like this rather than a bowl, so that it is easier to get all the components in one serving when you serve it. I have used both romaine lettuce for this salad as well as a Spring mix. Both are delicious but I prefer the crispness of the romaine personally. I like to make this salad a couple of hours ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge, to really make the flavors sing.
Nathan’s Onion Rings are my very favorite onion ring. They always come out so crisp. I make mine in the air fryer. I will link the site for the onion rings here, so you can see where to buy them. I buy mine at Family Dollar if you can believe it. Onion rings SEEM like a weird idea on a salad, until you try it. The crispy onion ring is perfect with the flavors of this salad. the combination of the onions and apple and honey mustard are the perfect mix of flavors for my tastes.
- 2 large Honeycrisp Apples
- 1 6 ounce package of dried cranberries (can use more or less)
- 8 ounces of crumbled goat cheese ( I get mine at Aldi)
- 3 heads of romaine, washed and chopped into bite sized pieces, I also use a spring mix sometimes as well
- 1 cup of thinly sliced green onions, both white and green parts
- 1/2 cup of toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 bag of frozen onion rings, I love brand Nathan's (picture in post)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- sprinkle of celery salt and black pepper
- For the dressing
- 1/2 cup of yellow mustard
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- *all seasonings and measurements can be adjusted to your preferences, the mustard and honey can also be adjust to whether or not you like it more mustardy or more sweet
- Add your romaine lettuce to a large bowl and sprinkle some celery salt and black pepper on as well as the tarragon and parsley. Toss well to coat.
- Add the lettuce to a flat pan or casserole dish.
- Wash and dice your apples with the skin on, thinly slice your green onions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients sprinkled across the top along with the apples and the onions.
- Mix your dressing ingredients, it can be served right away but it is even better when it sits in the fridge a few hours or even overnight.
- Make your onion rings according to the package, serve on top of the salad and drizzle the dressing across the salad and the onions rings.
- For parties you can also slice up tomatoes and salt and pepper them, cucumbers and peppers and serve on the side to add more veggies to the salad if wanted.
Another Great Salad
If you like this salad recipe, you MUST try my blue cheese chopped salad. It is one of my very favorite salads! It is a meal on its own!