One of my favorite types of recipes are what I call “Heirloom Recipes”. Recipes that are passed down from one generation to the next. When Chateau Dumplings reached out to me to possibly partner, I immediately said yes. My family has been making a “Heirloom Recipe” using these dumplings for years. I will post it soon, but to give a quick description, it was a Roast Pork with mushroom gravy, on top of a Chateau Dumpling and topped with Red Cabbage. My family and I LOVE it.
For my partnership with Chateau, I wanted to give this heirloom recipe a modern day makeover. I came up with this play on my family’s classic pork recipe. I created an Asian Inspired Broth using pork belly, cabbage and mushrooms and incorporated Chateau’s new mini potato dumplings that come frozen and in a resealable bag. You can find the recipe for this dish below. I used an instant pot for this recipe, but you can adjust it if you are preparing it on a stove top.
Dumplings with Pork Belly Broth
2lbs Of Thin Sliced Pork Belly
2 C Sliced Mushrooms
4 to 6 Large Bok Choy Leaves
4 to 6 Pieces of Ginger, Not Peeled
1/2 C Garlic Chives Minced
2 C Shredded Purple Cabbage
2 to 3 Baby Bok Choy
1 C Sliced Scallion
Handful of Sprouts
4 C Mushroom Broth
4 T Gochujang Paste
2 T Vegetable Oil
*I used my Instant Pot for this recipe. Adjustments for a stove top method will be included.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet, sear both sides of the pork belly for 5 minutes each side.
- Remove pork belly from skillet and quickly sauté mushrooms, half the scallions, and Chives. Add the Gochujang paste and sauté a bit longer.
- Add the meat, scallions mixture and the large box choy leaves to your instant pot. (If making on a stove top add all this to a stock pot)
- Add the mushroom broth, cover and set to stew setting for 30 minutes on high. (If using stove top method, simmer on low for four hours)
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to boil, add dumplings, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Drain dumplings.
- In a bowl, add some of the dumplings, baby Bok Choy, Sprouts, purple cabbage, scallions and a little bit of the Gochujang Paste.
- Release the steam on the instant pot, strain the broth and add the broth to the bowl with the dumplings and veggies.
Chateau dumplings is a fourth generation owned company, started by immigrants, that is also local to the Chicagoland area. They are located right in Cicero, Illinois! They offer potato and bread dumplings that can be found in the frozen food section at most local grocery stores including Jewel and Mariano’s (A complete list of stores is included on their website via the link below, and they also offer an online shop) They are THE BEST DUMPLINGS IN THE WORLD. The dumplings can be used for many recipes or are great just on their own!
Check out the website via the link below for more information!
*while this post was sponsored by Chateau Dumplings, the recipe and opinions are all my own!