Christmas Day is busy for my family. We go to my parents on Christmas Eve then early morning Christmas Day we have family over for breakfast and later we go to my grandmas.
To be truthful, I’m usually pretty hungover on Christmas morning. I’ve learned to be prepared by making breakfast Christmas Eve morning before the drinks start flowing.
I came up with this easy and truly delicious breakfast casserole that can be made the day before and popped in the oven on Christmas morning. It cooks perfectly in the oven while you open gifts, have that second cup of coffee or nurse your hangover. I got everything at Aldi so it also costs well under $20 to make and will easily feed up to 12 people.
1 16 oz tube of breakfast sausage
1 onion diced
1 large bag of frozen tater tots
2 cans of “cream of” soup (any variety) I used mushroom
1/2 C milk
3 T sour cream
1 T of Soy Sauce
1 C Shredded Cheese (I used Colby Jack)
3 scallions, sliced
Black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder
- Brown sausage and onions. Break up the sausage into a fine crumble.
- Layer the tater tots in a greased Casserole dish.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper to the sausage mix.
- Top tater tots with the sausage mix.
- In a bowl combine the soup, milk, sour cream, soy sauce and more black pepper.
- Pour over tot and sausage mixture.
- Top with cheese and scallions and sprinkle some chili powder on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve bake at 375 degrees covered for 35 minutes or until it’s bubbling up the sides.
- Uncover and let Cheese brown .
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
I make scrambled eggs to serve with it!