I have to apologize in advance if you are a person who really enjoys seeing the process photos of my recipes. This Round Steak & Gravy recipe requires so few steps that I actually didn’t take ANY! If you would like to see the recipe being made, you can go to my Instagram account HERE and check my highlights under the Meat category and watch how to make it. I will also link a video at the end of this recipe. There was something about the Fall weather here in Chicago that had me craving this childhood recipe my Mom used to make. Round Steak & Gravy is a recipe that uses an affordable cut of beef called Round Steak that is delicious, but typically needs hours to cook so that it is tender. I made this recipe in my Instant Pot, but it can also be made in the slow cooker or in your oven, if you have the time. I will add the times for cooking in the crock or oven at the end of the recipe.
This recipe will feed a family of four. You can double the meat without having to adjust the onion and gravy. Here is what you will need to make this recipe, :
- 4 to 6 slices of Round Steak
- 2 Pouches of Onion Gravy
- 2 C of Hot Water
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled and Smashed
- 2 T of Butter
Again, I made this in my Instant Pot, I will add adjustments for a crock or an oven in the steps.
- Use a skillet and 1 T of butter to sear off both sides of your round steak. I only cooked these on each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In your Instant Pot, sauté the onions and the garlic in 1 T of Butter.
- Add the slices of meat to the pot.
- Add the two pouches of the gravy to 2 C of hot water and dissolve.
- Pour over the meat and onions.
- Set your Instant Pot to the meat setting and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Release the steam and you are ready to serve.
This recipe is best served on top of creamy mashed potatoes and with buttery corn. You can also use rice or egg noodles. But in my opinion, the gravy needs to be with mashed potatoes. If you want to make this recipe in your crock pot, sear the meat in the skillet, and brown the onions and mushrooms in the same skillet and add the gravy mix to your crock and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Remember to keep the lid on your crock or it will take longer. If you are making this in the oven, do the same steps as the crock, but place the meat, onions and gravy in a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 2.5 hours. You can also add mushrooms to this recipe if you like. Another option is to add in one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup to make it a creamy gravy. I have loved this recipe since I was a kid and I hope you do too!
I linked a video below showing the recipe from start to finish if that helps you !
For another great recipe, check out my recipe for Halloween Taco Dip.