Call me weird, but one of my favorite things about a pizza party is when you have salad and pizza on your plate and some of the salad dressing gets on your slice and pretty much makes it absolutely perfect. This is why I started making Salad Pizza at home. It makes a really great lunch or a dinner and with the invention of bag salad kits, your whole family can customize their own pizza. I was at Aldi the other morning, per usual, and I saw they had the naan I use to make my quick and easy wood fired pizza on and I decided to give it a try with my Salad Pizza recipe. It worked out great! For this recipe I decided to use a bagged Caesar Salad, but you can top this pizza with any salad you choose. It needs very few other ingredients and takes only minutes to prepare. Here is what you will need for Salad Pizza:
- 2 Naan flatbread, ones that are about 6 inches wide
- 1 C of Jar Alfredo Sauce
- 1 C of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 C of Good Quality Parmesan
- 1 Bag Salad of your choice, I used Caesar Salad
- Black Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
Heat your oven up to 400 degrees for this recipe while you prepare the ingredients. I used a cast iron skillet to toast my naan, but this is not a requirement.
- Heat a skillet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the skillet is hot, add the naan and let it get toasty and crispy before flipping it over to the other side to do the same.
- Repeat the process with the second naan.
- While the naan toasts, prepare your bag salad according to directions.
- Place both naan flat breads on a cookie sheet and spread the alfredo sauce across the tops of both. You don’t want to have too much sauce, but you don’t want it to be dry either.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese and the parmesan.
- Place in oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pizzas to cook for about 10 to 12 minutes. You don’t want it cold, but you don’t want to add the salad when its burning hot either.
- Top both naan flat breads with the salad, add black pepper to both and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
This is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes you will ever make. You can play around with it and make it your own. You can make your own salad too. I have done a red sauce variety with an Italian Chopped Salad topping, and a olive oil base with a bleu cheese salad. The options are endless. You can also make the pizzas ahead of time and pack them separate from the salad for lunch or a picnic on the go. Simply heat up the pizza and then top with the salad when you are ready to eat. The pizza can even be eaten cold. I think you will see that Salad Pizza will be your new lunch option at least once a week! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
For another great pizza recipe CLICK HERE