Crumbled Sausage and Creamy Cheese Won Tons
Crumbled Sausage and CreamyCheese Won Tons, The Perfect Party Appetizer
This is a savory appetizer with crumbled sausage and creamy cheese. Many years ago I had these Sausage and Cheese Won Ton Bites at Mister Tipsy’s Mom’s house. I am obsessed with them. They are delicious, easy to make, affordable, feed a crowd and who doesn’t love a fun finger food? This recipe is a classic and I wish I could say that I invented this recipe, but I did not. I have made some changes to this recipe to make it my own. You will have people who want the recipe once you make them. The printable recipe for these Crumbled Sausage and Creamy Cheese Won Ton Bites is at the bottom of this post. I want to share some tips and tricks so that this recipe is easy for you to make.
The only unique cooking equipment that you need to make this recipe is the mini muffin tin. I make so many things in mine that I would say it is worth buying. The oneI have has twenty-four spots. I found mine at Home Goods for around twelve dollars. I have also seen these at Goodwill. Goodwill is a fantastic place to buy kitchen equipment if you’re learning to cook without making a huge investment.
What Are Won Ton Wrappers?
A lot of you have asked me about the won ton wrappers. Won ton wrappers are what egg rolls are made with. Also other asian recipes like crab rangoon etc. You can find these at most grocery stores in the cold produce section. In my store they are usually by the vegan stuff or by the tofu. Pay attention when you buy them to make sure you buy the won ton size. If you accidentally buy the egg roll sheets, you can cut them into squares. This recipe for Sausage and Cheese Won Ton Bites require you to place the wrappers into the mini muffin pan. I find this works better when you let them warm up a little on the counter. Try to form them to the muffin spots when they are ice cold. When you place them in the muffin pans, form them to the muffin spots and try to avoid tearing them. If the tear you can repair them using your finger and a little dot of water.
I use cheddar and jack cheese in this recipe. You can use any kind of shredded cheese you like when you make this recipe. I have used a sharp cheddar and a mild cheddar. I like the sharp cheddar better. If this recipe is for kids, the less spicy the cheese the better. I am going to make these for Super Bowl Sunday and try using a truffle cheddar. I am very excited about that.
Crumbled Sausage and Creamy Cheese Won Tons
- 1 16 oz package of breakfast sausage (the one in the roll)
- 1 C of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 C of shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2/3 C of ranch dressing
- 1/4 C of roasted red peppers (in the jar) diced fine
- 1 Package of won ton wrappers
- 1 T of any cooking oil
- non stick spray
- You will need a mini muffin pan for these, I use one that has 24 spots. Spray your mini muffin pan with non stick spray.
- Allow your won ton wrappers to get to room temperature, this helps when you place them in the muffin pan. Place one wrapper in each spot of the muffin tin. You want to make sure to press the wrapper so that it forms to the circle. Use caution so that they don't tear. If some small tears occur on the bottom it won't be detrimental.
- When you have placed all 24 wrappers in the tray, heat your oven to 350 degrees and bake the won ton wrappers for about 5 minutes or until you see the edges getting golden brown. Pull from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat your cooking oil and add your sausage. Cook until it is cooked through and make sure you are breaking up the sausage as you go.
- When the sausage is cooked through, drain the sausage and blot with a paper towel. Add your diced red peppers and add a little juice from the jar to the pan and use it to scrape up the meaty bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the peppers cook with the sausage for a bit.
- Add your ranch dressing and your cheese to the sausage.
- Let the mixture cool a bit.
- Next, you want to fill your won ton cups with the mixture. You may have to open them up a little bit, then fill them with the sausage mixture to the very top. If you want to add another sprinkle of cheese to the top you can. I also like to sprinkle with an all purpose seasoning or dried parsley, this is not required.
- When the won tons are all filled, bake in oven for 7 to 10 minutes. You will know they are done with the wrappers are golden brown.
- When you take them from the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes then take the won tons out and let them rest on a paper towel for a minute. This is because they can be a little greasy on the bottom.
- You can serve with a side of sweet chili sauce or ranch dressing for dipping, or they are delicious on their own.
I know that you are going to love this recipe. The crumbled sausage and creamy cheese make these so addicting. They will be the surefire hot of your next party or get together! If you like this recipe, check out some other appetizer recipe from The Tipsy Housewife!
As always, thank you for reading and happy eating!