Slow Cook Italian Beef
Slow Cook Italian Beef
I love a good Italian Beef Sandwich, even better if it is a slow cook Italian Beef. This recipe for Slow Cook Italian Beef uses a beef chuck roast, some dry Italian dressing, some pepperoncini, butter and beef broth. The steps are simple and you can slow cook this in the. oven or in a crock pot.
The one think I hate about eating an Italian beef is the smell of beef on my hands the rest of the day. I started making this Italian Beef and serving it open faced. I use these Chicago made Bread Dumplings by a company called Chateau Foods. They are sold all over Chicago in the frozen food section. I get mine at The Jewel. The dumplings are available lots of places, check their retail locator. I like to use them because they come in 9 slices, they have this unique texture that soaks up all the gravy and doesn’t fall apart. Makes the perfect bite of gravy bread. It is also a party friendly way to serve Italian beef especially when people are standing around. Instead of them trying to eat and juicy beef while standing, they can eat open faced on a plate. You can also use one side of a French roll as well.
Full, Printable Recipe
The Full recipe is below and it is printable. IF you would like more tips and tricks, I outline the steps with pictures below the printable recipe. Feel free to take a look to help walk you through the recipe.
- 3 lb Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 pouch of Italian Dressing Seasoning (the pouch I used was 0.7 ounce)
- 12 ounce jar of sliced pepperoncini
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of beef broth
- Cooking Oil
- Steak Seasoning
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Rub your beef chuck roast with a little cooking oil, then season on both sides with some montreal steak seasoning.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, just enough for searing, place your chuck roast in the pan and sear on each side for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain half the juice from the pepperoncini.
- Add the beef to a roasting pan with a cover (or use foil) add the pepperoncini, sprinkle on the Italian dressing pouch, Pour over the 2 cups of beef broth, then top with the butter. Sprinkle with the onion and garlic powder.
- Place the lid on, or the foil, bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Let the meat rest for 20 minutes before shredding. Serve open faced or as a sandwich.
- If you would like to make this in your slow cooker, sear the meat and then repeat the same steps in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- I serve with giardiniera relish.
Into The Oven Or Slow Cooker
This recipe is a beautiful recipe to cook low and slow in your oven or in your slow cooker. Just be sure to sear off your roast before putting it in the roaster or slow cooker. This helps seal in juices while it slow cooks.
Give It A Rest
Reminder that when this meat comes out of the oven or the slow cooker it is tight from cooking. It needs about 20 minutes to relax before it will shred easily. Do not be disappointed when you take it out and it is very tough. Let it rest and it will be perfect.