Beefy Tomato Shells and Cheese
Beefy Tomato Shells and Cheese
Beefy Tomato Shells and Cheese is an easy one skillet meal that is perfect for weeknights. Kids and grown ups will both love this easy dinner idea. Requires very few ingredients so it’s a perfect, budget friendly meal. The ingredients can be found at any grocery store and I have also found the seasoning packet on Amazon.
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. There is also a Pinterest button you can use to pin this recipe to your page. If you are on Pinterest and would like to follow me, you can find me over there at The Tipsy Housewife.
Thick and Zesty
I like using this sauce packet for making this dish because to me, it has the perfect blend of spices and herbs that add greta flavor to this one dish meal. I also like how it makes a thicker sauce without a lot of fuss. This plus the addition of the canned tomatoes gives an all day cooked flavor that you are just going to love.
My favorite pasta for this recipe are these Barilla pasta shells. I think they make the perfect little cups to hold this sauce. You can certainly use any pasta shape you like. You can also use any pasta brand you like. I like this brand particularly because when I meal prep, I can make these ahead of time and they are not too stuck together when I go to use them in this recipe.
- One Packet of McCormick Spaghetti Seasoning (found in the aisle with gravy)
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 6oz Can of Tomato Paste with Italian Herbs
- 1 14.5oz Can of Tomato Sauce with Italian Herbs
- 1 14.5oz Can of Diced Tomatoes with Italian Herbs
- 1 Box of Pasta Shells, I used Barilla
- 1 C of Shredded Parmesan Cheese with extra for serving
- Olive Oil for Cooking
- I begin by boiling my pasta shells in a separate pot. I like to boil them until there is just a little water left in the pot, because I use it in the sauce.
- In a deep skillet, add your olive oil, onions and garlic and cook until your onions are soft.
- Next, add your ground beef and fully cook the meat. Make sure you are breaking up the meat as you go. You may want to drain your meat when it is done cooking. Then add it back to the skillet.
- Next add your packet of spaghetti seasoning and toss with the meat and the onions.
- Add your diced tomatoes and your tomato sauce and fill the can of tomato sauce halfway with water to get the remaining sauce out and add to the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add your tomato paste, stir constantly to combine into the sauce, simmer for ten more minutes.
- Add your cooked shells and the remaining water. There should only be about a cup of water left in the pot of noodles. If you have more, reserve one cup of the pasta water and drain the noodles. Then add this all to the skillet with your sauce.
- Stir well to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes, turn off the heat, and stir in your one cup of parmesan cheese. Let this all sit for ten minutes before serving.
- You can serve with more cheese on top, fresh or dried herbs and garlic bread.
Another Great Pasta Recipe
If you like this pasta recipe, be sure to make this red pepper pasta recipe that is also here on my site. This pasta has sausage and red peppers and I think that you will really love it.