This dish is super simple. Here is what you will need:
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced or Rough Chopped into bite sized pieces.
- 1 28 ounce Can of Baked Beans of your choice.
- 1 T of Brown Sugar
- 2 t of Chili Powder
- 1 T of Garlic Powder
- 1.5 lbs of Ground Beef
- 1 C of French Fried Onions
- 1 C of Bacon Bits or Chopped Bacon
- 1 T of Soy Sauce
- 2 T of BBQ Sauce
- 2 T of Dijon Mustard
- 1 small can of sliced water chestnuts
The steps are as follows:
- Saute onions in a cast iron skillet on low, you want the onions to get a deep golden brown. This should take at least 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar to the onions and let them get caramelized.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until no longer pink. Make sure you are breaking up the beef as you cook it.
- Add the Mustard, Soy Sauce, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, water chestnuts and combine well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the baked beans and combine with the mixture, let simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Top the skillet mixture with the bacon bits and the french fried onions.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the skillet is bubbling and the onions are a golden brown.
That is all there is to it. This dish can be made in a casserole. Simply place the mixture prior to baking in a casserole dish and then add the french friend onions and bacon.
This is a unique take on the traditional baked beans, the savory and sweet combination is one of my absolute favorite flavor profiles.
Below is a step by step video to making this dish!