I have had many food related jobs. One was working in the meat cutters union at a grocery store. I worked on the deli side, but we were part of the butcher department and I was intrigued by what the butchers could do with different cuts of meat. One of the best tricks and tips I learned was how you could ask the butcher to prep your meat order so that it makes the best recipes.
Skirt steak is probably my favorite. It is so versatile and really takes on the flavors of how you marinate it. In the Summer, during grilling season, I probably make it once a week.
This recipe is an easy what, what matters is how you have the butcher process the cuts and how you marinate it.
Pro Tip: Ask the butcher to trim the skirt steak thin and to run it through the tenderizer a few times so the meat is thin enough to take on the marinade and so that it will cook quickly on the grill.
Here is what you will need for the marinade:
- 3 lbs of Processed (trimmed and tenderized) Skirt Steak
- 1 Can of Citrus Flavored Beer
- Goya Adobo Seasoning
- 1/3 C Good Quality Soy Sauce, I like to use Wan Ja Shan Brand
- Little bit of olive oil for cooking
- Black Pepper and Salt to taste
This is a simple recipe with very few ingredients. What matters next is that you let the meat marinade for the proper amount of time and that you grill it at the proper temp. Here is what you need to do.
- Spread the meat out, if it isn’t thin enough you can cover with plastic wrap and pound it out for a few minutes. (the kids loved helping me with this part)
- Season both sides REALLY well with the Adobo Seasoning. Rub the seasoning in with your hand, massaging it into the meat.
- Let the meat rest with the seasoning on the counter for about fifteen minutes.
- After the meat rests, rub a little bit of oil into each piece of meat.
- Place the meat in a ziploc bag and add the soy sauce and the beer.
- Seal the bag and massage the meat around inside the bag.
- Place in fridge and let rest for 4 to 6 hours.
- When you are ready to grill, take the meat from the bag and dry the meat off well with paper towels.
- You need to heat your grill up to five hundred degrees, and if your don’t have a thermometer let it heat up on high for about 15 minutes (I am using a gas grill).
- After you dry your meat, place it on a plate and rub a little bit more oil into the meat and salt and pepper both sides.
- You are now ready to grill, this meat only needs to cook for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Place the meat on the grill, leave it for 4 to 6 minutes, flip and repeat.
- Remove the meat from the grill and place it on a plate, cover it in foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Slice the meat into thin slices.
This will be your new go to steak recipe. You can change-up the marinade to suit your tastes. The important part is the cut if meat, processing it, letting it marinate for the proper time, drying the meat before grilling, quickly grilling it and letting it rest.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
For another great skirt steak recipe check out my top-secret STEAK TACO RECIPE
Don’t forget to follow me on INSTAGRAM