Ultimate Egg Salad
Ultimate Egg Salad
This Ultimate Egg Salad is the meatless meal of dreams. The method I use to make my egg salad is to mash the yolks with the mayo and mustard making a creamy texture to add to chopped egg whites. The full, printable recipe is linked below. Beyond the printable recipe below are a few tips and tricks I included to help you make the best egg salad you can make. This is also a perfect Lenten recipe.
Full, Printable Recipe
- 1 dozen eggs - hardboiled (instant pot hardboiled method outlined below)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of mayo (use as much as you like)
- 1 Tablespoon of Yellow Mustard (adjust according to your preference)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1 tablespoon of Sweet Pickle Relish (adjust according to your preference)
- *Seasoning measurements are a suggestion based on my preferences, feel free to adjust to your tastes
- Couple of pinches of kosher salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of celery salt
- 2 teaspoons of dried dill
- 2 to 3 drops of hot sauce (optional)
- White Bread
- Thinly Sliced Red Onions
- Crisp Lettuce]
- Sliced Avocado
- To hard boil my eggs I use my Instant Pot. I place the eggs on the rack, add two cups of water, high setting for 5 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes, release the rest of the steam then place the eggs in a bowl of ice cold water for 10 minutes, then peel.
- Cut your eggs in half and remove the yolks and place in a bowl.
- Keep all the white parts of the eggs on the cutting board, and chop into small, bite sized pieces. Feel free to chop them as big or small as you prefer. I prefer a smaller chop.
- Add them to a bowl.
- In the bowl of yolks, add your mustard, mayo, relish and mask the yolks until they are smooth. Season with the seasonings and hot sauce. i recommend adding a little at a time, tasting and adjusting to your preference. You can also add in extra mustard or mayo if you prefer your egg salad creamier.
- Fold the whipped yolks with the egg white bites. This adds a creamy texture to the egg salad along with some bite by keeping the yolks chopped.
- Fold in the chives, top with a little chives, refrigerate for 4 hours.
- You can serve this in lettuce cups. I prefer to toast some white bread, spread the egg salad, add sliced red onions, avocado, add a little salt and pepper and then top with crisp lettuce.
Separate Your Whites and Yellows
I was taught to separate the yolk from the whites when making your egg salad. I learned this trick when I was working at a classic Chicago diner called The Zephyr, in Chicago. The Zephyr is no longer, but the egg salad method lives on. I mash the yolks with the mayo, mustard and the other ingredients and combine until smooth. I like to chop my egg whites until they are small and bite sized, you can choose to leave them any size you wish. Adding the creamed egg yolks to the chopped egg whites creates the perfect bite on an egg salad sandwich.
Soup and A Sandwich
To me there is nothing better than a good soup and salad sandwich combo. Try out my recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup.