Stuffing is the KING of Thanksgiving Dinner as far as I am concerned. Nothing beats Original Tipsy’s recipe but she won’t give it up! I have tried and tried to make it from taste and I think this time I have gotten as close as I can ever get. I used my favorite Chateau Bread Dumplings to make this recipe and I cannot recommend them enough for making any version of stuffing. They were so easy to use and made the perfect stuffing by adding great flavor and texture. This Bread Dumpling Skillet Sausage Stuffing is going to be your new holiday tradition. It only requires a few ingredients and one pan! I cooked this Bread Dumpling Skillet Sausage Stuffing in my Lodge Cast Iron skillet and I did not stuff my bird with it. I think it came out great. Here is what you will need:
- 2 Boxes of Chateau Bread Dumplings, Thawed and cut into cubes.
- 1 Tube of Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, Diced
- Dried Parsley
- 1 Egg
- Garlic Salt and Pepper
- 4 T of Butter
- Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 C of Milk
- 3 to 4 C of either Homemade or a Carton of Turkey Stock
- In a cast iron skillet, add two tablespoons butter and brown the pork sausage.
- Add the celery and onion and cook until soft.
- Season with garlic salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste.
- Add the bread dumpling cubes a little at a time and toss to coat with the sausage and celery/onion mixture.
- In a bowl whisk the egg with the milk, parsley, poultry seasoning, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add the turkey stock a cup at a time to the bread dumpling/sausage mixture. The dumplings should be pretty wet, it will take 3 to 4 cups of stock.
- Remove from heat and let cool ten minutes, then add in the egg mixture. Tossing to coat.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cover the skillet with foil tightly and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
- After one hour remove from oven, take off foil, melt 2 T of butter in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the stuffing. Return to oven and bake for another thirty minutes.
This recipe came out so perfectly. It is ALMOST as great as Original Tipsy’s. I am just glad I can make it all year to tide me over until the holidays when she makes hers. I think that you will love this recipe as much as we did.
For another great Thanksgiving recipe, check my recipe for Easy Roast Turkey.