Mashed Potato Bombs
Mashed Potato Bombs
Mashed Potato Bombs are the best appetizer for the holidays. Easy to make, creamy, cheesy and delicious. This recipe uses instant potatoes to make the perfect textured mashed potato bombs. You also add cheese, sour cream, egg and paprika. These little puffs of heaven are addicting and delicious.
There is a full, complete recipe card at the end of this post. You can hit print on this card and screen shot the recipe or use the print button to print the recipe. Also at the top is a Pinterest button you can use to pin this recipe to your Pinterest to save this. If you would like to follow me on Pinterest, you can find me at The Tipsy Housewife on Pinterest.
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Not going to lie, I love a good box of instant mashed potatoes. Call me crazy but sometimes they just hit the spot. I also have a very, very delicious recipe for making THE BEST creamy mashed potatoes, you can find that recipe by CLICKING HERE. For this particular recipe, you MUST use these instant mashed potatoes for the specific texture they have. I use this brand of Idahoan Mashed Potatoes. Just use the PLAIN and ORIGINAL type of mashed potatoes for this recipe. I am not saying other varieties will not work, but this is the only variety I have used in this recipe and I know for sure it “puffs up” properly.
You want to make sure you use a flake instant potato and one that you only add butter, water and salt to the mix. If you happen to buy a generic brand, just make sure they are not flavored and that they only require you to make them with water, salt and butter. Omit the milk if it says to use milk.
The Mini Muffin Pan Is Essential
You will need to use a mini muffin pan for this recipe. This is so that each little potato puff, puffs up properly. You can buy a pan like this anywhere. I will link the pan I like from Amazon. I have one that is linked in my Affiliate Amazon Shop that is $11.99. You can find it by clicking here. I am required to tell you this is my affiliate shop which means as a blogger, Amazon allows me to create lists of suggested products and when you use the links, AMAZON (not you) pays me a small commission on any sales. I also use this same pan pan to make my Sausage Bites Appetizer which is a really good one for the holidays as well as football Sunday.
- 1 Box of Instant Mashed Potatoes, use the type that has the flakes, I like the Idahoan brand. You want to use the kind that uses only water and butter and salt and then omit the step where it says to add milk.
- *Prepare the mashed potatoes on the box for the serving size of SIX (6) and this will be what you combine the rest of the following ingredients with.
- 1 C of Shredder Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 C of Sour Cream
- 1 t Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 2 T of melted butter and a small pinch of salt
- 1 Whole Egg and 1 Egg Yolk
- Prepare the instant potatoes for a serving sixe of 6 according to the package driections. The ingredients list above does not include the measurements for the butter, salt and water you will need to prepare the mashed potatoes. Remember if your instant potatoes say do add milk, omit that step. Let these cool slightly before adding the next step.
- Mix the cheese and sour cream with the prepared potatoes, stir well until combined. Add the black pepper. Let the mixture cool to room temp. Taste and adjust salt if needed. You can also add a sprinkle of garlic and onion powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the whole egg and egg yolk. Fold into the potato mixture once it is cooled to room temp.
- Next, take a ziploc bag and add the potato mixture to one corner of the bag.
Spray your mini muffin tins with spray oil. You will use the ziploc bag like a piping bag.
- Cut a small tip off the corner of the bag and fill each circle in the tin with the mixture. I make an up and down motion with the bag to make layers.
- In a bowl, combine the paprika and the melted butter and mix well,
Use pastry brush to lightly brush the potato puffs .
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and place the pans in the center of oven. Bake for 30 minutes, in the last 2 minutes of cooking turn on broiler and broil for 2 minutes keeping a close eye they don’t burn. Oven temps and times will vary, keep an eye on these the first time you make them.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes, then lift each bomb from the pan carefully.