Easy Vodka Sauce
This is a recipe I have been making for years. When I had it for the first time I was sure that it was some overly complicated, intricate recipe because it was so absolutely delicious. When I asked the original recipe creator for the recipe I couldn’t believe that it was actually a really Easy Vodka Sauce recipe. I made some adjustments over the years and I think now that it is practically perfect. I have to be honest, this Vodka Sauce is not healthy, what makes it delicious is lots of butter, cream and cheese. It is definitely a recipe that is for an occasional indulgence. I have been asked if substitutions can be made to make it healthier, but it does not come out the same and there is no point to making it if it’s not an indulgence. Once you make it I think you will agree. Here is what you need to make this Easy Vodka Sauce recipe:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 C of heavy whipping cream
- 2 C of good quality parmesan cheese, don’t use the powdered stuff.
- 1 24 ounce jar of marinara sauce, I use the one from Aldi.
- 1 12 ounce jar of marinated, quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 C of cheap vodka
- 1 lb of Italian sausage, casings removed.
- 1 box of cooked pasta, I prefer penne or rigatoni for this recipe.
- Red pepper flake, to taste
The steps to making this Easy Vodka Sauce are just as the title says, easy. This makes a great weeknight meal because it takes no time at all. It is also special enough for a Sunday dinner or special occasion. Here are the steps to making the Easy Vodka Sauce.
- In a deep skillet or stock pot, melt your two sticks of butter on medium heat. Make sure it doesn’t brown.
- Add in your Italian sausage that has been removed from the casings. Break up with a spoon and cook it all the way through. The sausage can get a little crispy.
- Add the jar of artichoke hearts. I do not drain them, you can, but I think the marinade adds flavor. Cook them with the sausage until they are a little browned.
- Add the vodka to the pot and let the sausage and artichokes simmer in it for 15 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce and then add a little hot water to the jar, replace the lid, shake well to get all the marinara sauce out and add to the pot. Let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Next you want to add the heavy whipping cream, add a little at a time until it is a pink color. You may or may not need to add all of the whipping cream and/or you may need to add a little more. When it reaches a pink color add the red pepper flake to taste and allow it all to simmer for another 15 minutes more.
- When the mixture has simmered for the final 15 minutes, it should be thicker, not too thick, but also not watery. If it isn’t thick enough let it simmer for a few minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and add the parmesan in and stir well until it is melted into the sauce.
- Toss with your favorite pasta and top with more parmesan cheese and red pepper flake.
If you read through this recipe you can see that I wasn’t lying about how indulgent it is. Trust me, it is worth it. I know that this will become a family favorite recipe for you as it did for us. It is great served with a loaf of crusty bread and a great salad to make it a fantastic family meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
For more great recipes, CLICK HERE!